3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Startup Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019 | 05:04 PM
THRobinson
|
Rookie
Default Startup Issues

Had this problem a year now, and soon as I try to resolve it, it's gone... it'll be a major pain for 1-4 weeks, then vanishes 1-4 weeks. I try something, think it's fixed, and sure enough it's back again.

Basically, I have an '03 Ram 4x4 5.7l Hemi. I hop in, turn the key, starts up perfectly fine, runs 2 seconds and shuts off. Absolutely no smoke, stuttering, coughing, etc... it's as if I turned the key, started the key, then just turned it off again.

Dodge dealer couldn't duplicate the issue and basically said too busy to do any testing, but not too busy to suggest replacing my spark plugs for $450CAD because who knows, maybe the plugs are old. Nothing like a $450 guess. Plus can change them myself for $100.

When the truck shuts off, 1 red LED light is blinking... so I think it's a security issue, like it's not reading the key chip so after it starts it shuts itself off.

Lately, and especially last night, after a few failed attempts, it does nothing. I turn the key, all dash lights come on, and nothing. No clicking, no attempt to turn over, absolutely nothing. Which is why I doubt a fuel pump or spark plug issue. If I wait a minute and try again, it usually works. Last night, I tried 8x with out the truck doing anything and almost had to get a lift home. Waited a few minutes and tried again, and after 2 more start/stalls it started up.

And yet, next week, it may work perfectly fine for a month without a single incident. This past week though it's been every single time I get into the truck.

Given the symptoms... ignition switch?

Old 08-22-2019 | 05:19 PM
TrueDogman
Captain

That was gonna be my suggestion. When its running try wiggling the key around a bit to see if it shuts off?? just an idea

Old 08-23-2019 | 09:02 AM
THRobinson
|
Rookie

I'll try that tonight... I have quite often though, felt that jiggling the key before trying again is what gets it to finally work.

Though, starting and running, then shutting off with a red security light blinking, has be debating between ignition switch, and anti-theft / Immobilizer Module...

Does the Immobilizer Module require me to go to Dodge, for programming and such?

Old 08-23-2019 | 12:08 PM
THRobinson
|
Rookie

You know what, I forgot... previous owner installed a 3rd party remote starter on this thing. I never used it. FOB was massive and I have no use for remote starting.

Are those installed in the dash? steering column? under the hood? I have no use for it so, may as well, remove it and eliminate it as a possible cause since heard those are notorious for start-up issues.

Old 08-24-2019 | 10:38 AM
66three83
Captain

The transponder is not reading the key. This happens to me once in a while. You get 3 tries, then it locks you out. Just disconnect the battery for a second, then try again, it should fire right up.

Old 08-24-2019 | 12:36 PM
TrueDogman
Captain

Originally Posted by THRobinson
You know what, I forgot... previous owner installed a 3rd party remote starter on this thing. I never used it. FOB was massive and I have no use for remote starting.

Are those installed in the dash? steering column? under the hood? I have no use for it so, may as well, remove it and eliminate it as a possible cause since heard those are notorious for start-up issues.
Yes. Good place to start. Should be in the dash and connected to ignition wiring...and could be causing a security issue as 383 stated above.

Old 08-26-2019 | 11:15 AM
THRobinson
|
Rookie

Well... grabbed my spare key, which seems to have a chip in it as well (thought it didn't) and past 2 days I've had 0 issues...

...but, being an intermittent issue, is the key's chip the issue? I guess I'll have to wait and see if happens again.

That said, the previous guy had the dash opened up before for some work, and I have 11 dash screws in my glovebox that need to go back in. I also want to check that flap in the fan behind the glovebox, and when in Rome... I'll lose that car starter.

How do those work anyways? I mean, if the car doesn't detect the chip in the key it shuts off, so, how's a remote starter starting it without a chip?

Old 08-26-2019 | 01:21 PM
TrueDogman
Captain

Remote starter bypasses the security. Usually times out at a predetermined time (15 mins) or brake pedal is pressed to put vehicle in gear. If key in igntion is detected car will stay running. I have seen some nasty cobbled up messes with peeps putting remote start in...thats why I say that might be good starting point if your 2nd key starts acting up as well.

Old 08-26-2019 | 01:24 PM
THRobinson
|
Rookie

Ya I've heard bad things about those, and again I never even tested mine to see if works. Battery dead on the remote and didn't want to waste the time/money putting a new one in.

Hopefully this weekend or next, I'll get it outta there. Totally forgot it was even there until I grabbed my spare set and remembered why 2 remotes on it.

Old 08-28-2019 | 09:27 AM
THRobinson
|
Rookie

Well, guess dash is coming off... hoped it was the key because as soon as I switched keys the problem was gone! For 3-4 days and then this morning the same issue again.

Quick Reply: Startup Issues