3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 01:12 PM
Laddens123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l stalling issue

About a year ago my truck developed a problem where it would randomly start sputtering and popping after a couple minutes of driving down the road. after some research and talking to a dodge tech we decided to change the plenum gasket, at the same time we found some pitting in the cam and ended up doing a cam, lifters, and an oil pump as well as cap and rotor, coil, plugs and wires. we got it back together and the problem persisted, i found that after driving for a couple minutes if i took off from a dead stop and gave it a decent amount of throttle until it switched to third gear the stalling wouldn't ever happen the whole time i drove it. but when i shut the truck off no matter how short of time if i started it and drove without opening her up (normal driving) the stalling would come back, if it did start to stall i could feather it through and open it up and the stalling would clear out and it would be fine for the rest of the drive. if it started to stall while stopped revving it up wouldn't clear the problem, problem only goes away if i open it up under load. throttle body was removed and cleaned+ air filter removed and cleaned. truck has 222000 miles. it was my dads truck and i bought it off of him around 200000 miles mostly because we know it has had a clean history sense he bought it new.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Unplug the front O2 sensor, and see if the problem goes away.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:56 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Unplug the front O2 sensor, and see if the problem goes away.
I'd try the same thing, maybe your current sensor is old and worn out. It could cause an improper air/fuel ratio, hence the stalling occuring.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:28 PM
Laddens123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve done this and the problem worsens after checking out the upstream sensor i remember replacing it after the problem started occouring, but i did notice that the exhaust pipe is pushed into the downstream side of the pipe but it looks like the welds broke so its kinda just resting there, could this cause a flow problem to the downstream o2 sensor? i think i would have noticed the way the cat is resting when i changed the upstream sensor but im just not sure.

Last edited by Laddens123; 09-10-2019 at 02:45 PM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l stalling issue