3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC won’t turn on!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 09:37 AM
Dokholiday
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC won’t turn on!

So I recently purchased my 2002 Dodge Ram 4.7 1500 and it has been well maintained. When I got the truck, my AC would only work on the high setting which I didn’t see too much of a problem because at least it worked and I live in Texas so anything is better than nothing. Well the wife and I went to Walmart yesterday and the ac was working fine on the way there but when we went to leave the ac wouldn’t turn on. I did some research and learned about the resistor so I pulled the old one out and it crumbled in my hands. Therefore I went to autozone and got a new one. Put it in and nothing. So then I started looking around more and checked relays and fuses and found the ac condenser fuse placement was melted where the fuse meets the contact points. I haven’t replaced the fuse box yet because it does still get power to the contact points. Today I was messing with it and the AC turned on for a split second then turned off. I don’t understand why the fuse box melted where the fuse goes or what might have cause this? Someone please help because I can’t drive around in 100 degree weather much longer without ac lol.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:34 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

My suggestion is for whatever reason you had a poor connection at that fuse. Poor connections create heat. I might consider doing a little wiring and remove that portion from the fuse box. Install a heavy duty fuse holder to those two wires and mount or have it nearby the fuse block
...instead of replacing the complete fuse block ??

Old 09-18-2019, 01:00 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 577 Likes on 522 Posts

You probably have two issues. The blower motor resistor block is failing. That's why it only works on high. It's a common failure, High speed is the default setting. In addition, I'll bet the melted part of the fuse connector is on the supply side. If it was the low side, the fuse would have blown. I'm thinking (well....guessing) the constant high demand for current got it hot and something pushed it over the edge. You might be able to just rig around it but fuses are there for a reason.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:35 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
You probably have two issues. The blower motor resistor block is failing. That's why it only works on high. It's a common failure, High speed is the default setting. In addition, I'll bet the melted part of the fuse connector is on the supply side. If it was the low side, the fuse would have blown. I'm thinking (well....guessing) the constant high demand for current got it hot and something pushed it over the edge. You might be able to just rig around it but fuses are there for a reason.
I wonder if the old blower motor is clogged and getting stuck... maybe that's a factor as well?

Old 09-18-2019, 07:17 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
I wonder if the old blower motor is clogged and getting stuck... maybe that's a factor as well?

While possible, an 18 year old truck that was well maintained shouldn't have an issue there. If it had sat in a barn for a few months over the winter, it might be possible. I suspect a bad blower motor resistor block just caused continuous heat that built up in hot weather. There's a lot of heat under the hood in the summer. That's why Chrysler has used heat barriers for decades on the battery.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:55 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain

While possible, an 18 year old truck that was well maintained shouldn't have an issue there. If it had sat in a barn for a few months over the winter, it might be possible. I suspect a bad blower motor resistor block just caused continuous heat that built up in hot weather. There's a lot of heat under the hood in the summer. That's why Chrysler has used heat barriers for decades on the battery.
Oh yeah, it gets hot under the hood alright! I remember my truck before I sold it, and it ran great, but it stayed hot for a lot of hours after beeing shut off. Just typical things for the 3rd gens

Old 09-19-2019, 07:25 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
Oh yeah, it gets hot under the hood alright! I remember my truck before I sold it, and it ran great, but it stayed hot for a lot of hours after beeing shut off. Just typical things for the 3rd gens
When I drove a truck back in the early 70's out west, I'd cook on the engine. Dinty Moore stew was very popular, although some people would forget to poke a steam hole in the can and it would explode. Myself, I remember once during the winter, I got some hamburger meat and made long patties to fit on hoagie buns. I'd cook them medium well and wrap in several layers of aluminum foil. At least 4 or 5. I'd store them in the freezer where I was renting a room. When I wanted one for lunch, I'd put them on the exhaust manifold and drive. Stop about every 50 miles and turn. After 200 miles, they would be well done and hot. A bag of chps and a soft drink and while the other drivers were eating, well, food isn't the best word, I'd have a fresh burger. Just shaped funny.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:29 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain

When I drove a truck back in the early 70's out west, I'd cook on the engine. Dinty Moore stew was very popular, although some people would forget to poke a steam hole in the can and it would explode. Myself, I remember once during the winter, I got some hamburger meat and made long patties to fit on hoagie buns. I'd cook them medium well and wrap in several layers of aluminum foil. At least 4 or 5. I'd store them in the freezer where I was renting a room. When I wanted one for lunch, I'd put them on the exhaust manifold and drive. Stop about every 50 miles and turn. After 200 miles, they would be well done and hot. A bag of chps and a soft drink and while the other drivers were eating, well, food isn't the best word, I'd have a fresh burger. Just shaped funny.
Not gonna lie, you're making me crave some hamburger meat now

Quick Reply: AC won’t turn on!