3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 5.7 2500 Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 09:58 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I dont see how a pcv would have any affect on oil pressure but good luck. If anyone has any theories please post em up!

Old 10-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Miyokorei
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a placebo effect, lol. Since today is Friday, I'll have more time to mess with it and see if it acts up any more this weekend. It may have been stuck close and not open. I'm not really sure since I broke it getting it out. The theory I was told is a stuck closed PCV valve causes excessive crankcase pressure which can cause an oil leak, but may also activate the oil pump pressure relief causing a drop in pressure. I don't know if any of that is true or not, but its the only thing I did to the truck that day. Im definitely game to hear any other theories on it though.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

PCV valve has zero effect on oil pressure. If it's stuck shut, pressure can build in the crankcase, but, it will simply blow out thru what would normally be the intake side of the system, and you get oil into the intake. So, some minor oil consumption, and a bit less engine power. (probably not even noticeable, as a bit of vacuum in the crankcase helps the rings seal.) If it's stuck open, then you will indeed see some oil consumption issues.

More likely, something was simply stuck in one of the oil passages. Kinda like clogged arteries.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:34 AM
Miyokorei
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it is back to not being fixed. It ran fine for awhile and I went to drive it last night, zero oil pressure. I have a new sending unit and the mechanical gauge hooked up together and both show no pressure. I guess I am going to be tearing it back down after it it stops raining sometime this week. I will get something fabricated so I can pressure test the oil pump to see if the relief valve is sticking. I have some EGR block off plates from my Firebird that I can use. Rubber plug and block off plate on the bottom of the pump. Drill and tap a second bolt hole for the back plate and drill and tap a hole in the center for a NPT fitting. I then should be able to pressure test it to see at what PSI its opening at and then increasing and decreasing the pressure to see if its sticking open.

I still have the old oil pan my brother took off the truck. It looks fairly easy to repair the messed up section on the pan and I can cut out the side of the pan where the deep section is for the end of the oil pickup tube. Take and fit a section of plexiglass into the cutout with a cork gasket and carefully bolt it into place. Similar to those old acrylic differential covers that you could see through to look at the gears. I can then at least check to see if its a suction or drain back problem. Or a combination of both.

Quick Reply: 03 5.7 2500 Oil Pressure