3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 Ram 3500 dually crew cab LHS rear door will not open

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019 | 08:48 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

You don't have to do it right away but you might want to clean the inside of the other side door too. The back doors often don't get used much.

The following users liked this post:
Marquise Beauchemin (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019 | 10:56 PM
Marquise Beauchemin
|

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
You don't have to do it right away but you might want to clean the inside of the other side door too. The back doors often don't get used much.
absolutely I plan on servicing the RHS rear door as well 👍🏻

Old 10-21-2019 | 08:26 AM
TrueDogman
Captain

Just another tidbit that I have had to do to my ol ram. The outside door handles are plastic. The hinge point on the actual handle is a metal pin...which will corrode. This makes the handle sticky and would make one think that linkage or latch is binding inside the door and needs lubed..when it is the outside handle itself. Using care this small metal pin can be driven out...cleaned of rust..lubed and reinstalled.

The following users liked this post:
Marquise Beauchemin (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019 | 12:21 PM
Marquise Beauchemin
|
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TrueDogman
Just another tidbit that I have had to do to my ol ram. The outside door handles are plastic. The hinge point on the actual handle is a metal pin...which will corrode. This makes the handle sticky and would make one think that linkage or latch is binding inside the door and needs lubed..when it is the outside handle itself. Using care this small metal pin can be driven out...cleaned of rust..lubed and reinstalled.
Thanks for that tidbit. I did inject a LOT of penetrating fluid into the outside door handle I could see exactly what you mean. That is most likely how it all began

Old 10-21-2019 | 02:31 PM
TrueDogman
Captain

Yes. I believe when that outside handle sticks a bit the door will not lock or unlock properly...and sometimes the door will not latch shut when closing because the outside handle is stuck a tad in the open position.

Old 10-21-2019 | 07:07 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Marquise Beauchemin
Thanks for that tidbit. I did inject a LOT of penetrating fluid into the outside door handle I could see exactly what you mean. That is most likely how it all began

Wht type of penetrant did you use? 3in1 penetrant? WD-40? 3in1 makes a great penetrant that will free up locks. WD-40 though, makes a great cutting oil. You don't want to use that on your locks as it will cause the key to cut away at the tumblers. The 3in1 will replace water so the lock doesn't freeze but will lubricate rather than cut the tumblers.

Old 10-22-2019 | 11:47 AM
Marquise Beauchemin
|

I used PB Blaster Penetrant.

Last edited by Marquise Beauchemin; 10-22-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Quick Reply: 2003 Ram 3500 dually crew cab LHS rear door will not open