3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 RAM HEMI 5.7 p0171 p0174

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 07:21 PM
djromann
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow up post:
After few weeks the truck is still fine, passed smog and finished registration with DMV. The mpg got slightly better- 10.5 city/ 16.2 highway.
been told at the smog shop that it smells a little as burn oil, probably because of valve stems. Will check the oil level for drop.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:11 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Good job. 😀
Care to elaborate and explain the procedure on your home built smoke unit?? thanks. Curious minds..

Old 02-02-2020, 02:49 AM
djromann
Amateur

Originally Posted by TrueDogman
Good job. 😀
Care to elaborate and explain the procedure on your home built smoke unit?? thanks. Curious minds..
There's nothing special actually, got the idea from youtube. Just didn't want to spend $80+ for something I'll use maybe once a year.
I tried to cheat though and instead of glueing the soldering iron with epoxy or 2-component glue I used RTV silicone. Wrong. Don't do that. And don't connect transparent pvc/ whatever hoses straight to the jar- they melt! Who knew that? Use only rubber hoses like for fuel or vacuum with adapters and then can use transparent hose.
So, I've got from Harbor freight the soldering iron for $4.99 I guess, and an air kit with adapters for other $8, a $6 bottle of Johnson's baby oil from Walgreens (that's pure mineral oil without additives that may hurt the internals of the engine, it kinda stinks a little when burning so I heard some people would use vaping juice ) and used a regular bike air pump. Can use a hand or leg pump. Can also use a compressor, but MUST install a reducer that blows into the jar NO MORE than 1psi of air, otherwise you risk to make some damage in case you're testing the EVAP system. I may upgrade mine with the reducer since it makes sense when I'm working alone on the vehicle, plus for testing exhaust and EVAP leaks have to crawl under the car and need constant smoke flow to see the leak.
Still have to redo mine with epoxy around the iron and the hoses so the smoke won't come out of the jar.
Will post a picture of it tomorrow- have to dig in the garage for it. Don't laugh too much when you see it.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:00 AM
djromann
Amateur

I've seen some on Ebay made of paint jar. The only plus is the handle, but you don't really need it. I think instead of 110V soldering iron could use a 12V heating element and hook it up straight to the car battery, but who knows how long you'll use it and how much will drain the battery so you'll need a jump start after. Don't like jumping- it may fry some electronics (ask me how do I know that ).

Old 02-02-2020, 08:27 PM
djromann
Amateur

This is the device)))
Will have to seal the handle with epoxy as well- smoke was coming out from where the wire enters the iron.
Put in a shop rag, poured some mineral oil, assured that the iron tip touches the rag, plug in, wait five minutes until smoke fills the jar and pump it into the system.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:29 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for posting DJ. Found it interesting. Sometimes I find it very hard to justify some expenses on aging vehicles and I also try to make some specialty tools even if they only work once for the job at hand. Good job and again thanks for the pictures and tips. Good luck with your truck! Tomorrow Im doing a pinion seal on my ol goat again....laying on my back in a cold garage. Lol

Old 02-03-2020, 12:12 AM
djromann
Amateur

Originally Posted by TrueDogman
Thanks for posting DJ. Found it interesting. Sometimes I find it very hard to justify some expenses on aging vehicles and I also try to make some specialty tools even if they only work once for the job at hand. Good job and again thanks for the pictures and tips. Good luck with your truck! Tomorrow Im doing a pinion seal on my ol goat again....laying on my back in a cold garage. Lol
Thanks, man!
​​​​​​​I was doing the same for a long time lying on my back on cold concrete, but a while ago I found a plastic creeper at the same Harbor freight for $19 on sale. Get one. You need it even if you don't know that yet. It's a life changer. You get waaay faster (I'm 6'2" with 250lbs) and it makes a real difference. It'll split your life into "before" and "after", trust me. I can say I was stupid for not buying one years ago.

Quick Reply: 2004 RAM HEMI 5.7 p0171 p0174