3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Random misfire

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 12:32 PM
mopar4u
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random misfire

2005 ram 5.7, 144,000 miles, all stock

About a week ago I started up my truck (cold start) and got a loud tick tick. I confirmed it was at idle and increased with light tap of throttle. Lasted for about 10 seconds and went away.

Today I started up my truck (cold start) and got the loud tick again. Same as above, light tap of throttle confirmed tick increased with rpm. After about 10 seconds it went away.

Between the two above occurrences I used my truck plenty with no issues.

Again today I stopped at a store for about 15 minutes, came out to start my truck (completely warmed up engine) and it did the tick again for about 10 seconds. The engine light came on this time. Got home and checked the code, p0306, cylinder 6 misfire.

No matter if it’s ticking or not it idles smooth and drives fine.

I pulled cylinder 6 plugs, replaced them and swapped the coil with cylinder 2 coil, reset the codes and I started twice with no ticking.

Being random and it goes away after 10 seconds could this still be an internal issue? If this is an internal issue can more damage be done by continuing to drive it, could be a week or two before a mechanic can look at it.

Old 12-26-2019, 04:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

What oil are you using?

Probably a lifter issue. These engines are rather notorious for that.

Old 12-26-2019, 04:34 PM
mopar4u
Professional

Valvoline high mileage

Old 12-26-2019, 04:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

What weight?

Old 12-26-2019, 04:36 PM
mopar4u
Professional

5w - 20

Old 12-26-2019, 04:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, that's the right stuff at least. (these engines are rather sensitive about their oil......) Problem becomes, if it IS a lifter problem, only way to know for sure is to pull the intake and have a look. And since your problem is intermittent, you may not see anything out of place. You could be proactive, and simply replace the lifters, but, that is not an inexpensive proposition.

Old 12-26-2019, 04:43 PM
mopar4u
Professional

Can a “bad” lifter trigger a misfire code? If i have s bad lifter does that mean the cam is probably trashed?

Old 12-26-2019, 04:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep, if the valve doesn't open enough, the cylinder won't get a good mixture, and it may fire, but weakly. PCM will see that as a misfire.

Cam may not be trashed yet, but, eventually, the lifter will destroy it. Assuming it IS a lifter problem...... Hemi tick is a lot of fun to diagnose...... Given your symptoms though, it does point in that direction.

Old 12-26-2019, 05:58 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mopar4u
2005 ram 5.7, 144,000 miles, all stock

About a week ago I started up my truck (cold start) and got a loud tick tick. I confirmed it was at idle and increased with light tap of throttle. Lasted for about 10 seconds and went away.

Today I started up my truck (cold start) and got the loud tick again. Same as above, light tap of throttle confirmed tick increased with rpm. After about 10 seconds it went away.

Between the two above occurrences I used my truck plenty with no issues.

Again today I stopped at a store for about 15 minutes, came out to start my truck (completely warmed up engine) and it did the tick again for about 10 seconds. The engine light came on this time. Got home and checked the code, p0306, cylinder 6 misfire.

No matter if it’s ticking or not it idles smooth and drives fine.

I pulled cylinder 6 plugs, replaced them and swapped the coil with cylinder 2 coil, reset the codes and I started twice with no ticking.

Being random and it goes away after 10 seconds could this still be an internal issue? If this is an internal issue can more damage be done by continuing to drive it, could be a week or two before a mechanic can look at it.
If its still running ok after the swap it may be good , but if its high mileage i would change all plugs, wires an coils , even a bad fuel injector can set a misfire code

Quick Reply: Random misfire