3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant leak after running AC

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 09:36 AM
Christopher Timson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak after running AC

Bought a 2004, 1500 with 5.7. I noticed that there is coolant leaking on the passenger floor, by the fire wall. On occasion, I can smell coolant when I run the truck or after I stop. I’ve checked the coolant level and it’s fine. Even the mechanic who replaced a ball joint said the same thing, and couldn’t find a leak. Yesterday I drove the truck a few miles, ran the A/C a few minutes and when I stopped, I could smell and see white smoke coming from under the hood. Also, there was coolant dripping onto the ground between the right front tire and the passenger side door. I couldn’t see where it was coming from. Any help from the group is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Is it actually coolant? Or is it just water? The A/C system will condense water out of the air, and there is a drain for just such an occasion in the location you are seeing water dripping.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:05 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Christopher Timson
Bought a 2004, 1500 with 5.7. I noticed that there is coolant leaking on the passenger floor, by the fire wall. On occasion, I can smell coolant when I run the truck or after I stop. I’ve checked the coolant level and it’s fine. Even the mechanic who replaced a ball joint said the same thing, and couldn’t find a leak. Yesterday I drove the truck a few miles, ran the A/C a few minutes and when I stopped, I could smell and see white smoke coming from under the hood. Also, there was coolant dripping onto the ground between the right front tire and the passenger side door. I couldn’t see where it was coming from. Any help from the group is appreciated. Thanks.

If it colored or clear? Does it smell sweet or not have much of a smell. The a/c condensate drain is in that area. When your a/c cools the air, water condenses out and there is a small drain to let it out. This is normal. The coolant smell may be a VERY small leak trying to start. It may also be some that was spilled when filling the coolant and is just cooking off. As long as the coolant level stays up, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:22 AM
Christopher Timson

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is it actually coolant? Or is it just water? The A/C system will condense water out of the air, and there is a drain for just such an occasion in the location you are seeing water dripping.
Yes, it’s definitely anti freeze

Old 01-12-2020, 10:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is there a flow control valve on the heater hoses? Of is it the typical constant-flow system? Do you see it dripping any other time? Just running the engine? Heater and a/c off?

Old 01-12-2020, 01:15 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I was going to say something similiar. Usually water drips on the ground when running the AC, similiar to one you put in a window in a home, and the water drips from the back of it onto the ground.

Old 01-12-2020, 02:13 PM
Christopher Timson

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
I was going to say something similiar. Usually water drips on the ground when running the AC, similiar to one you put in a window in a home, and the water drips from the back of it onto the ground.
Yes, it’s definitely anti freeze; green in color and sweet taste. I just topped off the reservoir and took it for a spin without running the AC. Still saw some drips but it might be over spill so I’ll wait a day to run it again.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have a look at the heater hoses. That's about the only thing I can think of that would leak coolant back there. Are you getting coolant on the floor of the truck??? (inside...)

Old 01-12-2020, 03:46 PM
Christopher Timson

Have a look at the heater hoses. That's about the only thing I can think of that would leak coolant back there. Are you getting coolant on the floor of the truck??? (inside...)
Yes, I am. It’s coming under the dash from the vents I assume

Old 01-12-2020, 04:07 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Christopher Timson
Yes, I am. It’s coming under the dash from the vents I assume

Bummer. It sounds like you have a leak on the heater core. This is a bad time of year for that. However, before you tear the dash apart, check the heater hoses to make sure they're snug. I found a video in YouTube that shows an overview of what is involved.

Personally, if it was my truck and I had something else to drive and could do it in my garage, I'd probably do it myself. However, it's pretty involved with some specialty equipment for the a/c system.Most people would be better off to take it to a shop. Let them bust their knuckles and scratch their arms. Just write a check or run your card through. This is one of those things I don't tell everybody to do themselves.I think I'd rather swap an engine out than pull the dash.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak after running AC