3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stereo replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 08:59 PM
Kelsey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by haze5736
What did you tap into to get accessory power? From my research recently doing this, I believe the computer controls the accessory power. If you don't use the PAC harness with the box that talks to the network then you have to tap into something that has power when the key is on. Most people tap into the cigar lighter.

PAC harness like this one? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pac-Radio-I...2649#vi-ilComp How would I tap into the cigar lighter instead?

Old 01-30-2020, 09:10 PM
Kelsey

Behind the glove box

Behind the glove box
I don't know if this helps at all but this is all that's behind the glove box. I'm gathering if it had an infinity system the amp would be here, is that right?

Old 01-31-2020, 07:36 AM
haze5736
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went back through this thread and I don't see anywhere that you confirmed if your original system was the basic 4 speaker or upgraded 7 speaker system with factory amp. There is a difference in what you need based on this answer. If you have the basic 4 speaker system and want a plug and play solution then Crutchfield says you would use the PAC RP4-CH11 interface. If you ever plan to add a backup camera this solution makes things very simple.

If you want to try and make your basic harness work then you probably need to wire in an accessory power source. Your harness should have a wire for accessory power. It is usually yellow. What did you hook that up to?

There are many ways to tap into the cigar lighter. You can strip a section of the lighter's power wire and solder in a wire. You can cut the wire and crimp in a new wire. You can use connectors like this. I've seen mixed reviews on using these. I try not to use them, but they are simple to use.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:29 PM
Kelsey

Alright guys, I'm almost there. I can taste it.

I ended up getting a voltmeter and splicing the accessory to the cigarette lighter as recommended here. If you look at my initial pictures the red wires from the harness weren't going anywhere in the truck connector. We hooked that up to the other cigarette lighter, which looked like it was getting constant power but it seems now like it may not be. The stereo completely resets as if it's losing power. When we used the voltmeter it continued getting power even after the truck was completely turned off, but now I'm thinking it may just be on a timer longer than we checked it for. I think we're going to connect the constant power directly to the fuse box, install the new speakers and call it a day. I'll try to update here if we end up doing something different, or yell at me if you see a problem with the plan.

Thank you all for your responses, this has been awesome.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:32 PM
Kelsey

Originally Posted by haze5736
I just went back through this thread and I don't see anywhere that you confirmed if your original system was the basic 4 speaker or upgraded 7 speaker system with factory amp. There is a difference in what you need based on this answer. If you have the basic 4 speaker system and want a plug and play solution then Crutchfield says you would use the PAC RP4-CH11 interface. If you ever plan to add a backup camera this solution makes things very simple.

If you want to try and make your basic harness work then you probably need to wire in an accessory power source. Your harness should have a wire for accessory power. It is usually yellow. What did you hook that up to?

There are many ways to tap into the cigar lighter. You can strip a section of the lighter's power wire and solder in a wire. You can cut the wire and crimp in a new wire. You can use connectors like this. I've seen mixed reviews on using these. I try not to use them, but they are simple to use.
It is the 4 speaker, no infinity. Sorry I didn't clarify

Quick Reply: Stereo replacement?