3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tow hooks installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005 | 07:58 PM
iengle
|
Professional
Default tow hooks installation

On the trucks with the tow hooks from the factory, is the black plastic cover cut out around the hooks or just not there at all? I'm in the process of installing mine and just curious. I cut out the areas for the hooks themselves and realized that the outer points of the mounting plate would have to be clearanced as well.

If the plastic is in place, pics would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Israel

Old 12-18-2005 | 08:21 PM
HemiBuell
Captain
Default RE: tow hooks installation

I pulled it out

Old 12-18-2005 | 10:04 PM
4xfreak
Professional

Just curious, how much are the factory tow hooks?

Old 12-18-2005 | 10:08 PM
iengle
|
Professional

I opted to go right to the stealer/dealer -- paid the MSRP of $135 plus tax. Be careful if buying a used one off ebay that you get the 2 brackets, otherwise it won't be worth much in a pinch...

Israel

Old 12-19-2005 | 01:35 AM
Exchevy
Professional

If your truck is a 1500 the black plate will be completely removed. Mine has factory tow hooks and no cover.

Old 12-19-2005 | 02:51 AM
HemiBuell
Captain

iengle, which two brackets would that be?

Old 12-19-2005 | 10:40 AM
mill500
Veteran

I think he's talking about the 2 front hooks. I've got the factory ones on mine, and I think if I didn't and was to do it over again, I'd either find or fabricate some that are deeper. Between the depth and clearance to the bumper, you're limited to what you can use to basically a strap. Makes it tough to get a decent size chain on them. Not a big deal since they make some decent capacity straps.

I live in snow country and another thing I like to use is they make hitches for your reciever with a loop on them, so you can pull or be pulled from the back as well...saves crawling underneath to attach your tow line to the frame or axle.

Old 12-19-2005 | 11:14 AM
iengle
|
Professional

There is a left and right bracket that bolt in with the bumper brackets. Easy way to know is to open the hood and look at the back side of the 2 bolts (the vertical pair towards the center, not the outside single bolt) and they should be threaded into a bracket, not just nuts on the back side. There is a bracket that connects between those two inner bolts and the two for the bumper mount.

Israel

Old 12-21-2005 | 12:25 PM
motorhead426
All Star

I just finished fabricating my own. I'll get the pics later today. I made them from to chunks of steel measuring 4"x3"x8". I made them to mount D-Ring Shackles like a lot of aftermarket bumpers have and I mounted them in the factory tow hook location. This way I can mount the D-Ring on, and use and strap or hook my heart desires, hahaha. I got to use them this weekend, when I was horsing arouns with some friends in a feild with 11" of snow. The steel cost me about $100, and took me a few hours to fabricate, but being able to use anything I wanted, to attached to them was worth the time. My truck didn't come with factory hooks, but I would have removing them anyways because they seem so limited. I wish Mopar had some like the new Chevy's or Ford's. I'll try to get the pics later to today.

Quick Reply: tow hooks installation