3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Figured out why I couldn't get the spare down....

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 03:00 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Figured out why I couldn't get the spare down....

Everyone has to promise not to laugh....the dealership automatically includes the spare tire lock on every Ram they sell. I guess they didn't tell me or I just forgot. I went and saw the service advisor that I usually deal with and he laughed and said he'd show me how to get it down.

We walked out to my truck, lifted up the rear passenger seat and said "Here is the lock that we include with every Ram we sell. Just do what you were doing except use this piece as well. Damn salespeople. I tell them to tell everyone that they sell a Ram to that the lock is here."

He went on to explain that many years ago, everyone was complaining of thier spares being stolen so they just started to include the lock kit free of charge on every externally mounted spare.

I usually don't use that side of the rear seat storage, just the driver's side where I have my hitch, hitch lock, 15' rope, and a recovery strap.

At least now I know the lock works LOL!!!

Old 12-19-2005, 03:42 PM
jeffjs
Professional
Default RE: Figured out why I couldn't get the spare down....

Good tip. I thought about this a couple of times, but never when I'm close enough to the truck to check.

Old 12-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Avanti
Captain

Way ta go, Deeoood!

We knew you could do it.[sm=deal.gif]

Old 12-19-2005, 09:12 PM
southernspeed

Where does the lock fit?

Old 12-19-2005, 10:28 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I promise, I didn't laugh!! I'm glad to hear your dealership sold the lock set with your truck, mine didn't but I wish they had.
But, it really would have SUCKED if you had been in the situation where you needed to change a tire due to a flat, and not known about the lock.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:50 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Gone Fishin

I promise, I didn't laugh!! I'm glad to hear your dealership sold the lock set with your truck, mine didn't but I wish they had.
But, it really would have SUCKED if you had been in the situation where you needed to change a tire due to a flat, and not known about the lock.
I agree it is good to know it is there, but man I felt really silly asking them this. Yeah, I can rebuild and fix stuff, but I can't lower my spare....oh well. I told you guys I'd report back, so I did, so I hope someone got some laughs.

Old 12-20-2005, 03:20 AM
Avanti
Captain

Hey, you're hardly alone. Years ago I got a bizzare error code on my trusty HP-III laser printer I'd used for years and it just quit--big as bobo. It displayed an error code I'd never seen before so I called tech support where I was working and told them, asking for help.

After a brief pause on the other end of the line followed by a lot of laughter, a LOT (seems I was on the speaker phone and everyone just happened to be in at the time), the techie respectfully told me the printer was, "out of paper." Shiitake! The wonders of higher education! Three point five college degrees and tons of experience later I felt like a ninny and then some! [:@]

We all get caught sometimes.

As noted, fortunately you weren't out in a dark and stormy night when you discovered the "problem."

Old 12-20-2005, 01:47 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Sorry Southernspeed, the lock is on the end of a new rod that replaces the other one you stick in the tube to let the tire down. It works like a wheel lock in that it has a 'design' on the end that has to match with the lock for it to turn.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:42 AM
GotHemi?
Professional

I got Two keys with my truck. If I am correct there is a post that goes through one of the lug holes under the truck and it has a lock on the end cap, just like a locking hitch pin. Seems sturdy and fairly crack head thief proof but I think I have to slide under the truck to unlock the pin so the tire can be lowered. Then I have to unscrew the Line Of Fire LED bar to insert the lowering crank. I have yet to use the spare but I did tell the Fiance' how it works in case she ever gets a flat in my truck and can't get a hold of me. Side note, she actually had to change a tire on a car to pass drivers ed. Anyone else have to do this? I think it's a great idea!!

Old 12-22-2005, 12:33 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: GotHemi?
Side note, she actually had to change a tire on a car to pass drivers ed. Anyone else have to do this? I think it's a great idea!!
I did too, but it wasn't like I didn't know how. It was mostly for the females and a few select others that didn't like to get thier hands dirty. It was funny to see them trying to do everything. So Yes, I do think it is a good idea.

Quick Reply: Figured out why I couldn't get the spare down....