3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Synthetic Fluid for Tranny not recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005 | 03:38 PM
red95vertible
Default Synthetic Fluid for Tranny not recommended?

I did a search but didn't see anything about this. I just bought an 04 Ram with Hemi and Automatic. I wanted to change all the fluids out just to be on the safe side. The local Dodge Dealership is telling me that Dodge does not recommend Synthetic ATF for that transmission. Is that just because Dodge doesn't make a synthetic ATF or is there some other reason for this???

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-17-2006 | 11:33 AM
Bikertrash
Default RE: Synthetic Fluid for Tranny not recommended?

Some dearlers are just full of it. What could their reason possibly be? If the fluid you want to use meets or exceeds Dodge's spec as outlined in your owners manual then you are good to go. Checkout Amsoil's web site. They have a tranny fluid that will work for you.

amsoil.com

You can tell them I sent you.
Paul Zumpf

Old 01-17-2006 | 01:20 PM
HankL
Champion

It is a very good idea to change out the automatic transmission fluid.
Instead of doing a 4 quart pan drop change, consider doing a full replacement.

The new Chrysler ATF+4 (9602) is more than 90% synthetic already.
There is a Society of Automotive Engineers paper on it (paper# 982674) if you want to do research to reassure yourself, and can be found at just about any college engineering library.

You can save money on this over priced ATF by bringing your own container to the Dodge Dealership and buying the 9602 at the bulk rate which is about 30% cheaper.

I would not try another ATF (Amsoil) until after all of the pickup's warranty has expired.

Another option is to use Mobil One synthetic ATF plus a dose of Lubegard's 'Black Bottle' additive to modify the friction characteristics.

http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf_hfm.html

I personally trust Mobil One and Lubegard,
more than Amsoil,
but everyone has their own opinion.

Old 01-17-2006 | 01:42 PM
crosbyct

Yeah definitely use Mopar ATF +4. Mopar trannies are very picky.

Old 01-18-2006 | 12:11 AM
05_black_beast
Professional

You'll need Chrysler ATF+4 or a synthetic aftermarket equivilent. NOT just any synthetic ATF though...Must be able to replace ATF+4 with it. Shift strategy and clutch material in this trans requires ATF+4, otherwise you'll likely get some chatter on upshifts and lockup. I'm willing to bet you're gonna have a difficult time finding something better than the Mopar stuff though. It's one of the best on the market.

Old 01-18-2006 | 09:33 AM
hemifever
SPONSOR

I ran Amsoil in my '01 5.9 Ram for 2 years and then put it in my '03 ram and it's been in there for two years. There will always be a discouragement from the manufacturer about anything other than their own fluid.

Old 07-14-2006 | 03:11 PM
txtech1997

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a synthetic ATF. I'm a dealer and get a good deal on AMSOIL products, so when I got my new 2006 Ram 1500, I put in their synthetic motor oil and extended life oil filter. When I got my boat a few weeks ago, I replaced the transmission oil with their ATF and put in there Severe Gear Lube 75w-140 in the rear diff and it runs great and smooth.

Charles

Old 07-14-2006 | 03:34 PM
Drew
Professional

as long as it is ATF+4 certified there is no problem.

if you want to change everything on your truck over to amsoil check out their prefered customer program. I got enough oil to last me over a year for my little yoda and my dodge, the $20 program saved me nearly $100

Old 07-15-2006 | 01:23 AM
OJ

ORIGINAL: Drew

as long as it is ATF+4 certified there is no problem.

if you want to change everything on your truck over to amsoil check out their prefered customer program. I got enough oil to last me over a year for my little yoda and my dodge, the $20 program saved me nearly $100

Amsol is ATF +4 certified? I have not heard this before, as far as extended oil drain intrevals doing this is fine and will not hurt your truck but this a vaild reason for the dealer to void you warrenty.

Old 07-15-2006 | 10:17 AM
Great White Wing
Rookie

Amsoils was recommended to me by a tranny guy the specializes in Ram drivetrains.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Fluid for Tranny not recommended?