3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.7 coolant leak, water pump mouting seal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 10:06 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts
Default 5.7 coolant leak, water pump mouting seal?

Its just a small leak, somewhat intermittent. Was there when I bought the truck, so I put on a new pump from advanceautoparts. That was less than a year aog, and the leak has returned. I'm thinking its the seal between the pump and front engine housing. I bought a felpro gasket, and will pull the pump and replace the seal... was thinking some RTV for good measure.

Anyone have this happen to them? Its just like this thread:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...lant-leak.html

And I borrowed the picture from that thread, because its just like where mine drips down from. Must be something somewhat common, two people on that thread (both new, but never came back) seem to have the same problem..

Old 03-24-2020, 06:18 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Its just a small leak, somewhat intermittent. Was there when I bought the truck, so I put on a new pump from advanceautoparts. That was less than a year aog, and the leak has returned. I'm thinking its the seal between the pump and front engine housing. I bought a felpro gasket, and will pull the pump and replace the seal... was thinking some RTV for good measure.

Anyone have this happen to them? Its just like this thread:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...lant-leak.html

And I borrowed the picture from that thread, because its just like where mine drips down from. Must be something somewhat common, two people on that thread (both new, but never came back) seem to have the same problem..

Check the weep hole to see if the pump shaft seal has failed. It might be a bad pump.

Old 04-06-2020, 01:56 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

The radiator has developed an easy to spot leak on the left tank seam now. I've had this happen on an 01 Caraan, where the rad has this pin hole high pressure leak that sprays back onto the engine. I'm glad I didn't pull and reseal the water pump already. Sometimes it pays to procrastinate? Will get the rad replaced sometime this week and see if the problem in the area of the water pump ceases.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:18 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Ok. Rad was original and bad, but that wasn't the cause of the wetness and slight drip. Source of that was that the water neck on the waterpump was leaking. Someone had put a new water pump on before me, and omitted the thin gasket. When I changed it, I assumed they did it right and didn't even think to look to source that thin gasket. Even though the thermostat has a seal that looks like it might seal on the water neck, it really requires the thin gasket. So when you have a leak that looks like the initial picture on the thread, make sure the water neck. I replaced my water neck due to rust as well. All dry now.

Quick Reply: 5.7 coolant leak, water pump mouting seal?