3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear bumper pushed in

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 06:42 PM
JSMCO
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear bumper pushed in

Hi guys,
2008 1500 SLT Quad Cab Stock Chrome rear bumper

I backed up and bumped into a big wood fence pole. Now the driver's side of the bumper is pushed in, has about 1 inch of space between the bumper and the painted part of the truck, while the passenger side has about 2".

I see a brace coming off the corner of the bumper that bolts to an approx 45 degree "L" shaped brace, plus I see one bolt coming down through the bumper. I can't tell just by looking if one of the braces is bent of if somehow the bumper would slide back out if any of the bolts are loosened. Before I start loosening old nuts and get a facefull of rust, has anyone dealt with this before? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Wear safety glasses. Enjoy the flavor of your rust. (adds iron to your diet after all.)

Loosen the bolts, and see how much you can move it around. Chemicals are your friend here, as are air tools......

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (03-31-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 11:51 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wear safety glasses. Enjoy the flavor of your rust. (adds iron to your diet after all.)

Loosen the bolts, and see how much you can move it around. Chemicals are your friend here, as are air tools......
This^^^

But more than likely the bracket got bent. There is play in the mounting, but doubtful you’ll have an inch.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:59 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

You can get most anything off if you use the right procedures and tools ... I pulled this one back in 2013, and reinstalled without the pad while I waited to get the replacement ready... pic was from the reinstall... new bumper was from ebay, and I painted it with single stage urethane.

Here is the replacement

Quick Reply: Rear bumper pushed in