3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heater issue - tried a lot of stuff already

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 11:40 PM
Mikes3rdGenRam
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater issue - tried a lot of stuff already

What’s up I’m Mike. I purchased a 2003 Ram 1500 4.7L quad cab and I love it. I’ve been reading a lot on how to fix the heater issue but I just haven’t had any luck on this and I’m in need of more suggestions. Here’s a little background, AC works great, heater doesn’t blow hot air. I changed the thermostat, I flushed my heater core, coolant level is fine, I have my lower dash off right now, figured out that the blend door and one of the mode doors “stopping pins” notch were broken off, I changed those - still no heat. When my actuators are off, I can toggle the stopping pin and I can hear my doors opening and closing so I don’t think the doors are broke. I can also hear and see the blend door operate when I go from hot to cold. Both my heater hoses get hot when at operating temperature. What else could it be? Any suggestions I’m open to it , maybe my doors aren’t working right or just going half ways? I get heat for like 1 second then it goes cold . Thank you

Old 04-08-2020, 03:54 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Have you checked your Blower Motor Resistor (and the Blower Motor)?

Old 04-08-2020, 07:00 PM
Mikes3rdGenRam
Amateur

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
Have you checked your Blower Motor Resistor (and the Blower Motor)?
My blower motor works and I can see my recirculation door opening and closing. My ac/heater control module works, but has anyone ever had an issue with just the heat on the control module not working? I’m just throwing that out there any tips would be helpful thanks

Old 04-11-2020, 11:27 PM
Mikes3rdGenRam
Amateur

You know the coolant bleeder on the 4.7 .. in all the videos I seen people are able to open this up and remove the screw and let air bubbles release. but mine just gushes out coolant (cold engine). Prob has to do with high point but I’ve seen people completely remove this and look at the coolant without it gushing out all crazy. Anyone had something similar happen?

Old 04-12-2020, 09:04 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Its been quite a while since I had my hvac box out to repair doors but Im thinking you still have a door issue....when you say both heater hoses are getting hot.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:10 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikes3rdGenRam
What’s up I’m Mike. I purchased a 2003 Ram 1500 4.7L quad cab and I love it. I’ve been reading a lot on how to fix the heater issue but I just haven’t had any luck on this and I’m in need of more suggestions. Here’s a little background, AC works great, heater doesn’t blow hot air. I changed the thermostat, I flushed my heater core, coolant level is fine, I have my lower dash off right now, figured out that the blend door and one of the mode doors “stopping pins” notch were broken off, I changed those - still no heat. When my actuators are off, I can toggle the stopping pin and I can hear my doors opening and closing so I don’t think the doors are broke. I can also hear and see the blend door operate when I go from hot to cold. Both my heater hoses get hot when at operating temperature. What else could it be? Any suggestions I’m open to it , maybe my doors aren’t working right or just going half ways? I get heat for like 1 second then it goes cold . Thank you
There are 5 blend doors , and it still sounds like that's the issue , on my 04 I had 4 of the 5 broken in one capacity or the other , I dropped the dash and replaced all and no issues since but I could charge my own AC so was easier for me ,,if you can determine for sure which door switches it to heat from cool and check it closer but theres no good way to know for sure without pulling dash , which is also only way to replace the heater core which do it all if you decide to do it

Old 04-14-2020, 03:35 PM
Mikes3rdGenRam
Amateur

I’ll probably either cut into the box to more closely examine both blend doors, or I’ll have to drop the dash and if I do that I’ll just replace all the doors and heater core. Thanks for all the suggestions

Quick Reply: Heater issue - tried a lot of stuff already