3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake line fitting size to rear axle junction?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 10:30 PM
jccourtney
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake line fitting size to rear axle junction?

I'm working on running all new brake lines on my truck. I've already dropped the gas tank and started working my way from the back forward.

I can't seem to find the fitting that goes to the junction. None of the auto stores nor the dealer has it.

The line is 3/16 inch and uses standard 3/8" SAE fittings where the hard line connects to the flex hose. I bought the driver's side hard line segment but the passenger side is discontinued. The fitting is the gray one shown below:

The thread size appears to be M11x1.5 but it is an inverted flare not a bubble flare. The M11x1.5 fittings at the auto stores have an unthreaded lead for use with a bubble flare before the threads start that doesn't allow the fitting to seat fully.

​​It's really not hard to run a brake line, but I can't seem to find this fitting. I'm tempted to order another left side, cut the fittings off, and create a longer right side segment, but that's about $30 per fitting.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by jccourtney; 05-27-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,288 Likes on 3,035 Posts

I just get a piece of straight line, with the correct fittings/flares (your parts store sells them.) and bend it to where I need it.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:40 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

When I replaced all the lines on my 2000 ram, I used a rear brake hose from a 2004 because I had it and it was a tad longer. The newer one was metric. I had SS brake lines out of Ohio send me a set of pre-bent regular steel lines, and had them swap the sae ends for metric on the side that connected to the hose fitting on the axle. Wasn't a bad price at all, probably cheaper than dealer pricing. 25% off right now, on pre-bent line kits until sunday.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Brake line fitting size to rear axle junction?