3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

07 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cranks but won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 09:41 PM
Brennenatkinson1@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cranks but won’t start

07 dodge 3500 5.9 24v
132k original miles
6sp man. Trans

Hey guys, I was cruising down the road pulling a small grade when all of a sudden my truck started losing power. Threw two codes for the #2 injector open circuit and group #1 injector open circuit.

pulled the valve cover, tested the resistance on my injectors. 1, 3,4,5 and 6 were all .3-.8 ohms. #2 was 3.0 ohms. Found the culprit and replaced it (under warranty) decided to adjust my valve lash while I was there. (0.010 intake- 0.026 exh.) Torqued to spec, got her all buttoned up, low and behold no start.

It cranks and cranks but won’t start. Tried to start it allowing the starter to cool in between starting attempts to no success.

I’ve adjusted valve lash a hand full of times along with swapping/changing injectors. My only thought is air is in the rail/line somewhere.

Also- I am baffled at the site of oil being under/inside my grid heater port. (What is your thought on this?)

Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-09-2020, 08:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

May be air in the lines..... is the PCM whining about anything else?

I think some oil ingestion is normal on the diesel, I believe it comes from the turbo..... Not 100% on that though. Everything I know about diesels is written on the inside of my left eyelid.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:08 PM
Brennenatkinson1@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
May be air in the lines..... is the PCM whining about anything else?

I think some oil ingestion is normal on the diesel, I believe it comes from the turbo..... Not 100% on that though. Everything I know about diesels is written on the inside of my left eyelid.
I personally think it’s air in the lines. It’s supposed to be a “self bleeding” system so I figured it would be worked out by now. The PCM isn’t throwing any codes beside the CAM sensor now.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Brennenatkinson1@gmail.com
I personally think it’s air in the lines. It’s supposed to be a “self bleeding” system so I figured it would be worked out by now. The PCM isn’t throwing any codes beside the CAM sensor now.
I would expect it won't run without good cam sensor signal.

Quick Reply: 07 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cranks but won’t start