3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No start after lifter and pushrod replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 11:56 PM
ando37
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry No start after lifter and pushrod replacement

Hello
My cylinder 4 intake lifter failed but it didn’t ruin the camshaft I tripled checked but the Pushrod fell out of rocker So I replaced all 8 lifters on passenger side. So I repaired and reassembled it, and when I crank the motor I hear a crunch or a clunk noise When trying to start the motor, There’s no start up, it wants to but just sputters and backfires. It also blew the egr pipe right off the intake manifold behind the throttle body. The head gasket wasn’t leaking that I could see but now cylinder 8 exhaust i am bending pushrods. I removed valve cover and noticed. So I thought the rocker was loose and I replaced bent one. So I reassembled Before using the electric starter I rotated the motor by hand to watch the lifters in action and they all seemed to be equal I measured each valve to see how Far they would drop. So I think okay, Maybe it was Just loose. So I Reassemble yet again, but while cranking the motor here’s that crunch clunk noise again n No start but backfiring still. the codes on scan tool are high map input. And my red lighting bolt was flashing(etc).
so I pull of the cover again but the pushrod wasnot bent. Only the top halve of pushrod was Bent the 1st time idk if that’ll help Diagnose.
so I assumed the valve was stuck closed that’s why I have the high map and blew the pipe off the intake manifold.
i removed the head again bc I thought valve was hitting piston.
I should of did a compression test or a leak down test before tearing head off again but I thought I would see the problem if I removed the head and id Be ahead a few steps Ahead if it idid need 2 b removed. So anyways I don’t see any marks indicating the piston did hit the valve. I used a carpenters square on top of the valves where the rocker arms go. It seemed to be straight with that big square, when looking through the holes of exhaust the valve stem does not look bent to the eye. I could see spark through the throttle body opening while partner cranked and flickered the throttle.
I removed the head again and there is corrosion or rust in each cylinder. Would that mean the oil is contaminated? Or the coolant spilt into while removing the head?
the rocker arm assembly arm all equal distance to the Center of the valve when measured. So I’m starting to think maybe it’s not the cylinder head but what else would prevent from starting? And what was the loud noise? I was by myself when I heard noise so I couldn’t crank n watch.

thank you guys for the help in advance.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

What are you driving, and what motor?

Old 06-07-2020, 10:07 AM
ando37
Amateur

2004 dodge ram 5.7

Old 06-07-2020, 11:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Making odd noises while cranking isn't good...... Getting spark? Fuel?

Old 06-07-2020, 12:43 PM
ando37
Amateur

Yes its getting fuel bc when I removed the head I disconnected the fuel line and it comes dripping out. And I believe theres spark. It kinda starts but dies and backfires.

Would coolant in the cylinder make that type of noise?
or maybe the cooling fan was loose? Or rubbing the shroud?
the 2and time I removed valve cover the pushrod wasn't bent. It was just the 1st time. But I didnt try as much with the 2nd pushrod.
Would the hydraulic lifter do it bc it was still primed from before and wasn't able to prime n was still solid from before and that's the noise I heard? Or maybe it failed ?
or maybe the oil is contaminated with part of the old gasket maybe n preventing it from flowing ?
Just spitballing here.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:45 PM
ando37
Amateur

it was a differnt type of noise sorta like a crunch or clunk. and I only did it 4 a second. but numerous times with electric starter. I was inside the truck.

Last edited by ando37; 06-07-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think I would be figuring out where that noise is coming from, before running the engine at all.......

Old 06-08-2020, 07:39 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Its not hard to put the push rods in the wrong hole. Seriously

Old 06-10-2020, 10:18 AM
ando37
Amateur

After reassembling again I got it started this time I cranked the motor by hand a few times n put fresh oil in. I also put new lifters in, let it sit for an hour then cranked by hand. I think the noise was from the fan hitting the shroud bc theres marks on it. n the bent pushrod im guessing it was from not have the bolts tight enough or the rocker wasn't sitting on the valve spring correctly or the lifter had seized or got stuck.
but I did get her goin finall . After a couple weeks of being torn apart I finally got her goin n now just gotta make sure she runs fine. Bc I didnt get a chance to really try it but it sounded okay. Hard to get out there while working n newborn lol.
Thanks for the responses

Old 06-10-2020, 03:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by ando37
After reassembling again I got it started this time I cranked the motor by hand a few times n put fresh oil in. I also put new lifters in, let it sit for an hour then cranked by hand. I think the noise was from the fan hitting the shroud bc theres marks on it. n the bent pushrod im guessing it was from not have the bolts tight enough or the rocker wasn't sitting on the valve spring correctly or the lifter had seized or got stuck.
but I did get her goin finall . After a couple weeks of being torn apart I finally got her goin n now just gotta make sure she runs fine. Bc I didnt get a chance to really try it but it sounded okay. Hard to get out there while working n newborn lol.
Thanks for the responses
Kids are like that. But, you can hopefully make up some of that time when your kids are old enough to come out and play in the garage with you.

Quick Reply: No start after lifter and pushrod replacement