3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Frame rot

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 09:29 AM
98pete
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame rot

So how many have 2004 ram 2500 with frame rot ??
this is absolutely un except able in this day and age !!
Would love to get a class action suit going against ram

Old 06-09-2020, 02:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Where do you live? I would point out, the truck IS 16 years old. If it lived it's life in the rust belt, then rusting really shouldn't come as a surprise.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:44 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Dodge has a good price point. You pretty much get what you pay for. You can easily mitigate rust, there are plenty of products on the market to protect interior panels and frame members.

Good luck on the class action, they never did pay anyone for that lousy LSD design that grinds out the axle housing, and they continue to turn away mds hemis that are eating camshafts outside of warranty. They've proven they will not stand behind their engineering and manufacturing mistakes that cost the consumer thousands to repair. They ended me buying their products new when they ended lifetime warranties. If I wanted to buy a new truck, rest assured it wouldn't be a Ram. If they brought the lifetime warranties back - I'd sign up on a new one.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:17 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 222 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by 98pete
So how many have 2004 ram 2500 with frame rot ??
this is absolutely un except able in this day and age !!
Would love to get a class action suit going against ram
I can see the conversation with counsel now...."I wanna sue Dodge because my 16yr old truck frame has rotted out". Cue laughter as they hand you a bill for their time lol. It was attempted with the early dashes that liked to crack....didn't go very far.

Old 06-10-2020, 12:57 AM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Lmao, almost EVERY truck from the early 2000's (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, etc.) that wasn't stored inside and kept protected from the salt in the winter rusts and eventually rotts away. If the truck were from somewhere like California (My truck was before I sold it) then they never have those issues. When I had my truck that was originally from California, the frame was still the original Black color from the factory! It literally looked like a new 2002!

The following 2 users liked this post by Alex Medeiros:
Magnoom (06-10-2020), RPMRamFury (06-03-2023)
Old 06-13-2020, 09:04 PM
rwaltemate
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2008 that I drive on the beach (Pacific Ocean) and have rusted out one oil pan, lower control arms on the front axle, and much more. When I first got the truck I took a some time and painted everything I could on the underside with some really thick flat black paint. The dealer would under coat the new truck, but only sprayed the underside of the body, LOL. Also, if I drilled a hole in the frame anywhere, then that little inside edge would not be painted any more. Salt water gets into any little crack, and the stuff they use on the roads is truly nastier than just salt. Just find someone that welds really good and plate it where the issue is and maybe even add a backside if it is just a C channel. As for class action... good luck with that. I would love to see something done about the windshield wiper linkage and the horrible anti-lock brake control module that hold water until the leads rust off.

Quick Reply: Frame rot