3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Would anyone want a free set of ARH long tube headers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 09:37 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
What would have been good, is a dyno run with the stock manifolds - and one with their replacements. I went to their website, looks like they haven't updated it to include the 2500 series headers.
The headers are there. They were there before they had the donor truck to fix a problem.
https://americanracingheaders.com/co...nt=29943898180

I was going to do a dyno run before I get them installed, and I just might do that still, but it's $400 to do that, and I'm having trouble selling the truck I was going to use to fund this little project.
Gonna end up getting way less for it than I wanted, so I'm estimating around september I should have the headers installed. hoping to do a stock dyno run sometime between now and then.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:32 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Perhaps they'll discount a set based on you providing dyno differences?

Old 07-12-2020, 04:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Perhaps they'll discount a set based on you providing dyno differences?
Probably would depend on the results.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:18 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Probably would depend on the results.

I think they've already designed these with dyno testing.they claim 30ft lbs and 25HP.
I'm not expecting those numbers but I'd be surprised if I hit them lol

I don't think they're going to go for a discount because of dyno results lol

Last edited by GRNDPNDR; 07-15-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:11 AM
04 HEMI 04
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can say that there are very noticable power gains even without the tune. I currently have cat converter codes because of high flow cats but that will be taken care of with tuning. The most noticeable gains are from mid to high rpm as the truck wants to keep pulling harder.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:52 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

Originally Posted by 04 HEMI 04
I can say that there are very noticable power gains even without the tune. I currently have cat converter codes because of high flow cats but that will be taken care of with tuning. The most noticeable gains are from mid to high rpm as the truck wants to keep pulling harder.

One thing that I'm not understanding is WHY a tune is going to be necessary when adding headers.

If there are cats, and O2 sensors, then why do the trucks throw cat codes, or what exactly is the issue that needs to be tuned?

Old 07-13-2020, 10:00 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain

btw how does it sound? Any difference, or are you still rocking a stock muffler?

Old 07-13-2020, 10:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

A tune isn't really "necessary" if all you are doing is changing manifolds for headers. Will a tune get you more power from the change? Sure, but, a tune will get you more power even if you DON'T change anything else.

And yes, the PCM will figure out something has changed, and it will adapt. Want that process to be faster? Reset the PCM after the header install, and it will relearn the new system a bit quicker.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:24 PM
04 HEMI 04
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR
One thing that I'm not understanding is WHY a tune is going to be necessary when adding headers.

If there are cats, and O2 sensors, then why do the trucks throw cat codes, or what exactly is the issue that needs to be tuned?
I think factory cats are 400 cell, maybe more and the one on system is now 200 cell (very high flowing cats) so there are emission increased.

Originally Posted by GRNDPNDR
btw how does it sound? Any difference, or are you still rocking a stock muffler?
Yes, I am rocking stock exhaust. When you get on it, then you can hear more volume from engine. I might put in an high performance muffler (no drone but louder) to utilize the sounds better.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
A tune isn't really "necessary" if all you are doing is changing manifolds for headers. Will a tune get you more power from the change? Sure, but, a tune will get you more power even if you DON'T change anything else.

And yes, the PCM will figure out something has changed, and it will adapt. Want that process to be faster? Reset the PCM after the header install, and it will relearn the new system a bit quicker.
I had 150 a miles drive home. I will reset the PCM an see what happens. The check engine light actually came on while I was heading home.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:35 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Generally high flow cats meet or exceed OE standards, would expect it to not give you a problem. Interested in your CEL code, please let us know when you get a chance to scan it.

Quick Reply: Would anyone want a free set of ARH long tube headers?