3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 12:56 PM
KSanchez80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

Hello all
I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 liter and I’m wanting to upgrade the exhaust. I was originally wanting to run true dual,x pipe and flowmaster super 40’s. I contacted 2 local muffler shops and got quotes so I figured I’d call one more. The third shop I called told me that’s the worst thing you can do to that truck trust me when I tell you this. He told me you think you’re gas mileage is bad now put that setup on it and it’ll get even worse. He told me the 2008 model does absolutely horrible with true dual setup. The computer is always looking for the back pressure and never stops reading for the burn off. He recommended I go with a single in dual out like on the newer trucks. Is there any truth in this?

Old 07-07-2020, 02:41 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I've never heard of a custom exhaust being that detrimental to a pickup truck... Typically a Flowmaster gives you a tad bit more horsepower since it's more open then the OEM exhuast.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Erm..... I think I would cross that shop off my list of potentials..... Putting headers/dual exhaust on your truck won't, in and of itself, reduce your fuel mileage. What WILL reduce your mileage, is that lovely sound that you want to keep hearing, so are constantly pressing on the go-pedal harder than you really should. So long as your system supports all the O2 sensors in the exhaust, you will be fine.

Old 07-07-2020, 06:31 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Erm..... I think I would cross that shop off my list of potentials..... Putting headers/dual exhaust on your truck won't, in and of itself, reduce your fuel mileage. What WILL reduce your mileage, is that lovely sound that you want to keep hearing, so are constantly pressing on the go-pedal harder than you really should. So long as your system supports all the O2 sensors in the exhaust, you will be fine.
Agreed. You shouldn't even bother with that shop.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:28 PM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When someone starts spouting about an engine needing back pressure, I say "thank you, you're stupid and you won't be touching my truck"

It's pure bull, no engine needs back pressure, period!.

Take your business elsewhere and don't listen to some idiot who picked up a welder one day and decided to be a mekanik.

Quick Reply: Exhaust