3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Issues with A/C on 2005 Dodge RAM 1500

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 02:26 PM
Budddy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Issues with A/C on 2005 Dodge RAM 1500

Hi all,

I’ve recently been experiencing serious issues with my A/C and was wondering if anyone else had similar issues.

When it’s not sunny out, my A/C works fine till the temperature rises or it becomes sunny. Then instead of cold air, it only blows luke warm or cool air instead.

I’ve recharged my A/C (refilled the refrigerant) and also replaced my blower motor since it was making a loud noise at the higher speed. My compressor appears to work fine as the clutch turns when I turn the A/C on and stops turning when I turn it off.

I’m at wits end trying to figure this out. I initially thought that perhaps the blend air door may be stuck in the HEAT position, but then I wouldn’t get any cold air ever. So I ruled this out.

I also thought that perhaps it could be the condenser next to my radiator, but then why does it work fine when it’s not sunny out?

If anyone has any idea as to what could be causing this or if anyone has ever experienced this issue and had it resolved, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share your knowledge with me.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 08-02-2020, 02:47 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

While parked, does your A/C condenser fan turn on when you turn the A/C on max?

Old 08-02-2020, 05:05 PM
Budddy

I just went out to start the truck and checked the condenser fan prior to turning on the A/C. It wasn’t turning. I turned on the A/C and the fan started turning as expected. Only problem is that the A/C was ice cold, so it’s working fine now. I’ll need to wait till the sun comes out tomorrow and try it again. Will drive the truck first since the A/C usually starts blowing luke warm air while I’m driving.

One other thing. The truck drips a significant amount of water while the A/C is running. Perhaps this may also be contributing to the intermittent A/C issue?

Thanks for the tip!

Old 08-02-2020, 07:47 PM
Budddy

I just took the truck for a drive with the A/C set to max. After about 10 minutes, the cold air changed to cool air and then luke warm air. I immediately pulled over to the side, raised my hood up and examined the condenser fan. It was spinning as expected. Then I turned off the A/C and it was still spinning. I had to turn off the engine in order to get it to stop.

I realized that I haven’t replaced my air filter in awhile. As the problem usually presents itself while I’m driving, and not parked, was wondering if a dirty air filter may be causing this?

Old 08-02-2020, 09:56 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain

Originally Posted by Budddy
As the problem usually presents itself while I’m driving, and not parked, was wondering if a dirty air filter may be causing this?
I doubt it. You might be low on freon/refrigerant or have a leak. It could also still be the A/C Condenser Fan acting up.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:20 PM
Budddy

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
I doubt it. You might be low on freon/refrigerant or have a leak. It could also still be the A/C Condenser Fan acting up.
A Freon leak may be possible. I refilled the Freon just last week. I had previously refilled it last summer and it was half empty prior to refilling it this year. Is it considered normal for the Freon to be half empty when it was full just a year prior?

I didn’t think that a leak could cause an issue since there’s more than enough Freon left to do the job even if some were to leak out?

Old 08-03-2020, 02:14 AM
Alex Medeiros
Captain

I don't think freon should be leaking that quick to be honest. You might want to get an A/C dye kit to see if your freon is leaking out badly.

Old 08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
Budddy

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
I don't think freon should be leaking that quick to be honest. You might want to get an A/C dye kit to see if your freon is leaking out badly.
I suspected that losing half the Freon in a year was somewhat excessive, but wasn’t completely sure. So my next step is to focus on tracking down possible Freon leaks.

Thanks for the advice, it’s very much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Issues with A/C on 2005 Dodge RAM 1500