3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear ABS Sensor disintegrated?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 04:39 PM
GuitarGerber
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear ABS Sensor disintegrated?

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum. I was changing the rear ABS sensor today. When I removed the sensor, it appears the plastic housing had disintegrated. There was still a magnetic piece attached that I assume is what’s inside the plastic housing. I’ve driven probably 800 miles since the sensor went out and haven’t had any problems. I’m doing another 400 miles next weekend. Do I need to drain the differential and refill before the next trip? Am I asking for trouble? Or should it be ok? Let me be clear - I have VERY little mechanical knowledge or inclination, but this little swap out looked so easy, even I could do it. Here’s a picture of the damage. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-08-2020, 09:57 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

When was gear oil last changed? If it's due I would be changing for piece of mind.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

I am REAL curious what cause the sensor to degrade like that....... It almost looks melted. If the diff is getting THAT hot, something is most certainly awry.

Quick Reply: Rear ABS Sensor disintegrated?