3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trailer Brake controller, How do I know if it is working?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 09:13 AM
Joe.G
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailer Brake controller, How do I know if it is working?

Hi, I have a Tekonsha unsure what model but I can check later today, It is just a basic slide controller, I hooked up a trailer that has Electric brakes but the controller didn't do anything no lights lit up on the controller even if I slide it manually. The trailer I used may not have working brakes so It was not the best one to try ( Trailer is going though a overhaul ).

How can I check the controller with out a working trailer hooked up?

Should it light up if I slide the slider over with nothing hooked up?

Any and all tips would be great .

Thanks

2004 Ram 1500 with Factory Tow Package.

Old 08-04-2020, 12:02 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Did you install it yourself? Is it wired correctly to the trailer harness? Did it ever work? New truck? Are the trailer brakes functional? Start by checking the fuses/relays. If those check out, get a volt meter and see if you are getting the correct voltages at the correct pins on the connector. Do the trailer lights work (turn/running/brake)?

Last edited by jkeaton; 08-04-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:25 PM
Joe.G
Veteran

It was installed when I purchased the truck in 2014, I never had to use it before, Trailer lights all work.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:16 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Check the trailer battery, if its good - then pull the disconnect and see if the brakes engage.... if they don't, start looking at your trailer issues. If they do, then check the output of the wire from the brake controller at the trailer side.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:20 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

I'm not sure which connection is the brake actuator, but unplug the trailer and have someone slide the control slide. You may need the truck running for this. One prong will not have power until you actuate the trailer brakes. Then you will have voltage. I think the controller should light something up when activated but there are so many different makes and styles out there, I'd hesitate to say. You should have either a 6 or 7 prong plug.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:42 PM
Joe.G
Veteran

Trailer doesn't have a battery on it, Does it need one?

Old 08-04-2020, 07:55 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by Joe.G
Not really. You'll need a battery for a winch, house lighting or other accessories. That's why I mentioned 6 or 7 prong connectors. 6 prong will work the brakes but the 7th line is for power to the trailer to charge a battery or run something that requires power.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:12 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe.G
The battery is used for a breakaway system. I looked up NY, and it appears that is only required on commercially used trailers. In PA, I have to have both axles with brakes with a breakaway system. The breakaway system engages the brakes on the trailer if the trailer somehow separates from the tow vehicle (there is a cable with a contact that gets broken and that sends battery voltage to the brakes. When they inspect my trailer, they typically pull that cable disconnect and have me drag the trailer with the wheels locked up to verify that system.

Generally, in the northern states, the trailers are notorious for bad connections that cause the lights and brakes to fail... since everything is hanging under the trailer getting pelted with everything on the road.

So that is why I always verify the trailer first, its typically the issue. If you don't understand how your trailer brakes work, suggest you study some common wiring diagrams you can find on most any trailer parts dealer website.

Here are the rules for NY:
https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv529c.pdf

Old 08-04-2020, 09:59 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
The battery is used for a breakaway system. I looked up NY, and it appears that is only required on commercially used trailers. In PA, I have to have both axles with brakes with a breakaway system. The breakaway system engages the brakes on the trailer if the trailer somehow separates from the tow vehicle (there is a cable with a contact that gets broken and that sends battery voltage to the brakes. When they inspect my trailer, they typically pull that cable disconnect and have me drag the trailer with the wheels locked up to verify that system.

Generally, in the northern states, the trailers are notorious for bad connections that cause the lights and brakes to fail... since everything is hanging under the trailer getting pelted with everything on the road.

So that is why I always verify the trailer first, its typically the issue. If you don't understand how your trailer brakes work, suggest you study some common wiring diagrams you can find on most any trailer parts dealer website.

Here are the rules for NY:
https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv529c.pdf

I'm going to do my Homer Simpson imitation here. "Doh!" I sold my car trailer probably 15-20 years ago. I rent a U-haul if I need one and they have surge brakes. I forgot about the break away system. Indiana requires brakes on all trailers but a little 5X10 they never check. A tandem car or cargo trailer MUST have brakes on one axle.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:14 AM
Joe.G
Veteran

Quick Reply: Trailer Brake controller, How do I know if it is working?