3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with 4.7L head replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 04:55 PM
gkasinec
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 4.7L head replacement

Hello, I have done several searches in the forum for topics on head replacement and did not find much.

i had just removed my valve cover on the RH side and every journal was crumbled except for the first near the timing chain.

also all but two rockers were thrown.
i want to replace both heads cheaply, I just replaced the fuel injectors and spark plugs trying to troubleshoot a terrible misfire (there was no code).

please help. I had a remanufactured short block installed just over 2 years ago so I have too much invested so far.

Old 11-22-2020, 06:54 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

It looks like you were not getting oil to the cylinder head. This could be caused by spun bearings, but there could also be blockage anywhere in your oil distribution, starting with a blocked oil pickup.
I recommend that you remove your heads and get a look at the cylinder walls. It looks like some metal flakes are present, and if they get into your oil your engine will not be rebuildable.
There are dozens of videos on youtube on replacing Dodge 4.7 cylinder heads.
Let us know if you have any specific questions.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:53 AM
gkasinec
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 head question

I have some questions but I will lay out the history and please take the time to read. I pulled the valve cover off the RH side and found a toasted cam and journals. You said maybe there was a spin bearing, in the block or heads?

I have more than $8000 in the past 3 years.

in chasing continuous misfire and camshaft position sensor issues there has been new spark plugs a couple new fuel injectors, a couple lifters after finding a couple rocker arms thrown multiple times (replaced 4 lifters, 3 intake 1 exhaust).
The issue kept happening so then replaced the remaining lifters and head resurfaced.

This was all done within 1 year by the same place.
things were good for a bit but then spun a bearing and had the engine remanufactured (short block only).
the engine was remanufactured just over 2 years ago and during this time I replaced the crank pos sensor 2x with OEM parts, had misfires and poor performance.
Replaced nearly every sensor (TPS, MAP, IPS, PCV, etc.).

Then I found this forum and asked for help. I pulled the valve covers off and found thrown rockers and nearly every lifter froze up.

I replaced all lifters and added a spacer below them (found this fix online).
things were good until the trans went out. I had a reman trans installed 4 months ago then started getting the misfire again and knocking.

I could not get the knocking to happen again when going back to the engine shop and what he did hear he said was normal.

Oil changes were always less than every 3k miles after break in. I started using a WIX oil filter, per the engine shop recommendation and this help extremely with the knocking.

Now just 3 weeks ago I started having knocking, misfire and poor performance. Picking up my son after he started getting a lot of smoke we drove home and just before pulling up the driveway it looked like he blew his radiator BUT it was fuel.

From the fit of one Fuel Injector and fuel rail fuel was spraying out.
I pulled the fuel injectors out from that bank and found an extra O ring in the rail (probably lost by the original shop) and 2 plugs were fouled out.

I decided to replace every fuel injector and spark plug and still had the misfire and Very poor performance until I had no power after 30mph.

i took it home and found 6 of 8 rockers thrown and all but 1 journal of the Cam Shaft crumbled.

Added this detail to consider.
I haven’t looked at the oil yet but There has NEVER been any metal shavings or contamination in the oil before the initial issues or since the rebuild.

Now that is where I am today. Do I replace the heads with remanufactured including cam, valves,etc?

What if there is damage in a cylinder, I think I ruined my chance for the engine shop to stand behind their rebuild.

Last edited by gkasinec; 11-22-2020 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Added detail
Old 11-23-2020, 06:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

The wiped out cams is going to cause all sorts of havoc.

I would replace those heads...... if not the whole motor. Something really bad happened there, and you aren't going to know if it is a top, or bottom end problem, without tearing it down..... You already have a pile of money into it.... Can likely find a long block in the neighborhood of 2 grand.

Quick Reply: Help with 4.7L head replacement