3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 09:44 PM
Tmaeland
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start

Just got a secondhand truck, has tranny issues but I'm aware of that. Also broke a cc axle on the passenger side not too long ago either, getting it fixed once I figure out this problem.
My roommates was driving it onbon the highway to the house to get the axel replaced and it suddenly shut off so he had to pull over. Tried to start it a few times but nothing. My boyfriend then drove to pick him up, tried it again. It started then drove a mile before dying again and he saw some smoke coming from the engine.
I checked the engine codes and it's saying multiple misfiring on cylinder 1 3 and 5. It also says a small emissions leak, which probably isn't the case and p1281 which is coolant temperature but since I didn't start the engine checking these codes it probably was because of that. When I looked on other forums it said these codes were on their vehicle but it still ran, just rough.
It could of easily been a problem after I got the truck because it has been running rough which I assumed was just the torque converter or tranny. Could these
​​​​​misfires ultimately to​​​ it not starting anymore? I looked it up and it said if untreated it could lead to ignition failure, would that be the case then? I looked up what I could all do to fix the misfiring, spark plugs, cam, crank sensor etc. but I just wanted some assurance that these codes would lead to this problem or if I should be looking elsewhere. If you've also had this issue on dodge truck too and what you all did to fix it would be helpful too. Any advice would work to at least put me in the right direction. Thanks
2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Magnum 5.9 v8

Last edited by Tmaeland; 12-01-2020 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Added truck specs
Old 12-01-2020, 08:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Clear the codes, and run it some more. See what ya get. The P1281 code is likely just a bad thermostat, or wrong temp. (too low of opening temp)

Check your spark plugs. See what brand/type they are.

Also, including your vehicle information would be a really good idea.

Quick Reply: Truck won't start