3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What kind of coolant does a 2002 take?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 06:34 AM
Stone Norton
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What kind of coolant does a 2002 take?

The mechanic at the shop where I purchased it put some kind of orange coolant in it I believe before I got it, or the overflow just makes it look orange one, but my coolant jug is leaking just slightly around either the rad cap or i think it’s the sleeve under the radiator cap that goes into the jug, and I have no idea what kind of coolant is in or is supposed to be in it, and I’ve heard the horror stories of mixing coolants basically killing an engine in a matter of days

Old 12-11-2020, 08:34 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

That orange stuff is OAT, aka Dex-Cool, which does not belong in your cooling system. You need to flush it all out, run water through it (make your last water flush distilled water), then refill with the standard green stuff. I buy the gallon of SuperTech concentrate at Walmart and mix it with a gallon of distilled water in a bucket.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 12-11-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:11 PM
Stone Norton
Amateur

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
That orange stuff is OAT, aka Dex-Cool, which does not belong in your cooling system. You need to flush it all out, run water through it (make your last water flush distilled water), then refill with the standard green stuff. I buy the gallon of SuperTech concentrate at Walmart and mix it with a gallon of distilled water in a bucket.
alright, thanks, to be fair it may be green in there but through the orange colored jug it looks orange, thank you

Old 12-11-2020, 03:13 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Straight From The Manual:

Adding Coolant
Your vehicle has been built with an improved engine
coolant that allows extended maintenance intervals. This
coolant can be used up to 5 Years or 100,000 miles (160
000 km) before replacement. To prevent reducing this
extended maintenance period, it is important that you
use the same coolant throughout the life of your vehicle.

Please review these recommendations for using Hybrid
Organic Additive Technology (HOAT) coolant. When
adding coolant:

² The manufacturer recommends using Mopart
Antifreeze/Coolant 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula
HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive Technology).

² Mix a minimum solution of 50% HOAT engine coolant
and distilled water. Use higher concentrations (not to
exceed 70%) if temperatures below -34°F (-37°C) are
anticipated.

NOTE: Mixing coolant types will decrease the life of the
engine coolant and will require more frequent coolant
changes.

Old 12-11-2020, 03:19 PM
Stone Norton
Amateur

I pulled a tiny bit out and it looked clear but I was told he put antifreeze in it so it wouldn’t freeze, it was appearing orange because of the overflow having an orange tint, it kind of has that slimy feel like anti freeze I’m assuming it probably is regular coolant since I havnt had any problems, and I very must trust the guy, I figure it was dillluted enough to appear clear, like I say I very much doubt he put the wrong thing in but this weekend I may drain and flush it myself

Old 12-11-2020, 05:05 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Could be a mix with any coolant type also. If I remember correctly, Prestone any mix is greenish, while Autozones was orange. As I said though, I can’t remember for sure though, it’s been awhile.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:27 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

Orange stuff in a 2002 is not OAT, it's HOAT. Mopar p/n 68048953AB or you can use Zerex G-05. If the coolant itself is actually orange and not just from the jug color. If you intend to use something else, as stated above FLUSH it very well. Do not mix HOAT and other incompatible coolants together or bad things can happen.

Old 12-11-2020, 06:06 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnoom
Orange stuff in a 2002 is not OAT, it's HOAT.
Here, take a look for yourself. https://www.valvoline.com/our-produc...engine-coolant
In general orange coolant is OAT... in general. Not sure what you meant by "orange stuff in a 2002" as if you swear it still has factory coolant. Coolant is cheap, so no need to be unsure about what's in it. The safest thing to do is flush it and put in fresh stuff that ain't dex-cool.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 12-11-2020 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:46 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Here, take a look for yourself. https://www.valvoline.com/our-produc...engine-coolant
In general orange coolant is OAT... in general. Not sure what you meant by "orange stuff in a 2002" as if you swear it still has factory coolant. Coolant is cheap, so no need to be unsure about what's in it. The safest thing to do is flush it and put in fresh stuff that ain't dex-cool.
As far as I'm aware it's H.O.A.T. according to the manual and tons of auto parts websites. It was always orange when I had my truck, even after my mechanic had changed the coolant reservoir and changed the coolant. I tend to see that when people put the green coolant in this generation's trucks, they get issues as time goes on because it lacks the properties of the H.O.A.T. formula...

Old 12-12-2020, 12:24 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

As in that is the proper coolant for a 2002; how the f@ck would I know what's in there now? I'm so happy for you that have a cute little chart. If by chance it does have the proper coolant in there (50/50 shot) then the orange stuff isn't gonna be OAT/Dex-cool like your cute lil chart says. Been my experience more often than not the correct **** is in there because people are too lazy to change it unless they have to lol.

Quick Reply: What kind of coolant does a 2002 take?