3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Headlights too dim - advice for upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 02:09 AM
lucifuhrman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Headlights too dim - advice for upgrade?

When I mean "too dim", I mean that I simply don't feel very safe driving with the high beams on, as I don't feel they illuminate the roadway sufficiently, and to my eye they certainly don't match up very well with any other vehicle I've recently owned: Honda CBR motorcycle, 2001 Honda Accord, 1996 Dodge Dakota. Sure, my assessment of the brightness of the lights is subjective, but the previous poster does have a point in that there are quite a few threads about the high beams (never the lows) being too dim. Methinks it more than coincidence.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:15 AM
shoedork
Professional

I have a set of silverstars in my headlights and fogs, wich is doing the trick for now but one thing I noticed is that the set of silverstars in my fogs look really blue for some reason... anyone have this happen??. I have a set of stage II 6000K Philips HID's for the fogs ready to be put in but I am just waiting on finding a set of hi/lo beam hid's for my headlights. Seriously can't wait to install them, had Hid's in my S-10 before this truck and damn you wanna talk about a differance.

Old 01-06-2006, 03:16 AM
fullsizeyj

I put silverstars in my truck this weekend. Huge improvement. Not as bright as I would like though. I will be looking at the kite for fogs and highbeams soon. Not to crazy about jumping the relay on a new truck.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:22 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fullsizeyj

I put silverstars in my truck this weekend. Huge improvement. Not as bright as I would like though. I will be looking at the kite for fogs and highbeams soon. Not to crazy about jumping the relay on a new truck.
Hi fullsizeyj............if you put the Silverstar upgrade bulbs into your stock headlamp shells, do you have to jumper a relay.........?

I thought that the new bulbs outputs, were equivelent to 100/120w as opposed to the standard 65/55w, although only drawing the same ammount of power as the standards. Please note the wording "equivelent". This means to say that no alterations to the wiring loom/relays should be needed. I also note, that the colour temp is 4100k way above the standard "yellow beam" stuff and you can get some bulbs with as much as 6-8000k which should really improve things.

I've enclosed a link to help people with getting the correct bulb codes:-

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...de/default.htm

Plus.a FAQ section for a bit more information.

http://www.autothing.com/P-Support/p...t-bulbFAQS.htm

NB .Please note. I have NO affiliation to thius company or the selling of their products. I just thought it was a good source of information.

Al.

Old 01-06-2006, 04:56 PM
fullsizeyj

Nope, I went to Vato Zone and bought a package of 9006's and 9007's. Went home and had them swapped in 15 minutes. The fogs are 2 minutes for both and the passenger side does not require removal of the headlight. Driver side headlight needs to be unbolted to change the bulb.

No modifications to anything. Plug and play.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:33 PM
abarmby
Champion

Cheers ............I'm gonna' get me some sort of bulb upgrade from e-bay as the standards suck big time.

Cheers, Al.

Old 01-07-2006, 12:06 AM
DonG
Veteran

ORIGINAL: lucifuhrman

When I mean "too dim", I mean that I simply don't feel very safe driving with the high beams on, as I don't feel they illuminate the roadway sufficiently, and to my eye they certainly don't match up very well with any other vehicle I've recently owned: Honda CBR motorcycle, 2001 Honda Accord, 1996 Dodge Dakota. Sure, my assessment of the brightness of the lights is subjective, but the previous poster does have a point in that there are quite a few threads about the high beams (never the lows) being too dim. Methinks it more than coincidence.
No not a coinccidence. That's the exact symptoms I had. They are adjusted too high. It makes the low beams better and the highs worthless. Spend money if you wish, but the fix is cheap and simple.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:40 AM
abarmby
Champion

Did the headlight adjustments DonG.
It really improved the low beams as the truck has a 4 inch lift and the lights wern't adjusted correctly.
I has to wind down the two adjusters all the way to one end, just to get the beams on the road LOL.
Although things are now a lot better now, I'm still going to invest in some bulb upgrades as my last vehicle had far superior lighting and only ran Halogens.
I'll post when they arrive.
Cheers for your advise.

Al.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:49 PM
fullsizeyj

How do you adjust the headlights vertically? I can see the horizontal adjustment.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:00 PM
DonG
Veteran

ORIGINAL: fullsizeyj

How do you adjust the headlights vertically? I can see the horizontal adjustment.
There is no horizontal adjustment. The screw on the radiator side of each light assembly is the up/down adjustment.

Quick Reply: Headlights too dim - advice for upgrade?