3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Headlights too dim - advice for upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005 | 02:31 AM
lucifuhrman
Default Headlights too dim - advice for upgrade?

The stock headlights on my 2005 Ram 1500 are pathetically dim - not sure how they could field a vehicle with such useless high beams.

I'd like to imporove the output of the headlights to brighten the road in front of me and am wondering if there are some aftermarket bulbs or headlights that would fit the bill. I see posts and ads talking about aftermarket lights that "look like HID' s" - I don't want something that looks like something else solely for the sake of aesthetics, I want something that actually works in getting more light on the road. Any suggestions? I'd love to just be able to buy some bulbs and drop them in and solve my problem, but I'm a bit skeptical that I can get more light on the road by merely swapping bulbs and not changing wiring or something.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-25-2005 | 03:21 AM
4xfreak
Professional
Default RE: Headlights too dim - advice for upgrade?

I bought some Nokya arctic white hid simulation bulbs off ebay and they do make the road ahead alot clearer compared to stock but they don't shine any farther than stock. The look is more of a bright white compared to the stock yellowish color. Overall it was a good upgrade. IMO the only way your going to get light to shine farther ahead is to get some KC daylighters or something similar.

Old 12-25-2005 | 05:14 PM
BgBluRam
Captain

I got the Super White head lights, made a big difference, it's not that it made the light shine further, it's just that the area that the light does shine on turns to day, so what you could see with the stock lights, you can see much more clearly with the super whites.. They were about 30 bux for both.

Old 12-25-2005 | 05:25 PM
lucifuhrman

Who makes the super white headlights?

Old 12-25-2005 | 05:35 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Before you buy anything else, checkout HELLA Lighting. I believe you might be interested in the "XB" model. They also carry higher output lamps for the fogs too.
I think the xb's are rated at 80/100 halogen in blue and the fogs are in purple or vica versa.

Old 12-25-2005 | 10:10 PM
bmxox
Professional

Coming from a car that has HID's to a vehicle without them I can surely say that will most likely be my next purchase for the truck. I want the blackened headlights anyway so I'm going to throw in a real HID kit when I get them, not just some bulbs. Yea its more money but they are great.

Old 12-26-2005 | 02:14 AM
GIXXERGUY6

i used to have apc super whites in my eagle talon and they worked awesome.

i am going to put some in my ram for the low/high and the driving lights.

Old 12-26-2005 | 09:18 AM
southernspeed

Can someone tell me the bulb code for my 2005 Ram? Am I right in thinking the headlights are 9007? What are the fogs and front running/turn bulbs?
Thanks.

Old 12-26-2005 | 01:16 PM
GIXXERGUY6

hi and lows are 9007's and the driving lights that come on the rams are 9006 I do believe.

turns and others I wouldn't have a clue, but if you stop by your local walmart they have a bulb computer that will tell you everything.

Old 12-26-2005 | 02:24 PM
southernspeed

It ain't that easy in England!!! Thanks for the info though.
ORIGINAL: GIXXERGUY6

hi and lows are 9007's and the driving lights that come on the rams are 9006 I do believe.

turns and others I wouldn't have a clue, but if you stop by your local walmart they have a bulb computer that will tell you everything.

Quick Reply: Headlights too dim - advice for upgrade?