3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cruise control doesn’t work past 85

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 06:27 PM
Rmgk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control doesn’t work past 85

Having a weird problem that started today. Cruise control has always worked for me. However, today I had it on at 85. Guy gets in front me of me, so I have to brake. Click resume and it goes back to 85. Later, I’m trying to pass someone and hold down the accelerator button. Doesn’t do anything. I have to do it manually with my foot. So for the rest of the drive, I test it in every way I can think of. I get to 90 and click set, and it doesn’t do anything... until 85, when it keeps its speed as if I had clicked resume and the previous setting was 85. Kinda confused as to why this is happening. Obviously not an engine problem since these hemis can do much more than 85.

any thoughts?

Old 02-18-2021, 07:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Has it EVER worked about 85?? Assuming you are in the US, it's not like there are a lotta places where you can cruise at that speed..... Real possibility the manufacturers don't want the liability either.... and cruise simply doesn't work above 85.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:36 PM
Rmgk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Has it EVER worked about 85?? Assuming you are in the US, it's not like there are a lotta places where you can cruise at that speed..... Real possibility the manufacturers don't want the liability either.... and cruise simply doesn't work above 85.
Now that I think about it... I’m not sure I’ve ever used it above 85 lol. I don’t usually drive that fast but I went on a road trip today on a mostly empty highway. All the times I’ve pushed it past 85 in the past I definitely wanted to pay attention and use my feet so now that I think about it, it may just not be available past 85. And your logic is even more reasonable considering that it’s exactly at the 85 mark. Maybe I’ll take out another car on a quick drive and test it at 90 just to see if it’s a manufacturer thing or if mines actually broken

Old 02-18-2021, 11:36 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm pretty sure this is common on most cars & truck with cruise control. They always program it to stay limited to a certain top speed.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:07 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

3rd gen Rams, at least the early ones are programmed this way. None of my LX's/LD's have this limitation. I can set cruise at 140 lol.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:04 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Rmgk
Having a weird problem that started today. Cruise control has always worked for me. However, today I had it on at 85. Guy gets in front me of me, so I have to brake. Click resume and it goes back to 85. Later, I’m trying to pass someone and hold down the accelerator button. Doesn’t do anything. I have to do it manually with my foot. So for the rest of the drive, I test it in every way I can think of. I get to 90 and click set, and it doesn’t do anything... until 85, when it keeps its speed as if I had clicked resume and the previous setting was 85. Kinda confused as to why this is happening. Obviously not an engine problem since these hemis can do much more than 85.

any thoughts?
Unless you have a specialty model that is high performance, it will kick out above that so you don't over drive the tires. Your truck probably has S or T rated tires from the factory.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Unless you have a specialty model that is high performance, it will kick out above that so you don't over drive the tires. Your truck probably has S or T rated tires from the factory.
Valid point. That is an aspect I hadn't even thought of.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:04 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Valid point. That is an aspect I hadn't even thought of.

I've been known to drive in a .......spirited ...... manner at times. When I rode Sport Touring bikes (I've had 3 C-10 Kawasaki Concours bikes) my tires would run as much as $300 each due to speed rating. I had a 1998 Ford P71 Crown Victoria. The speed limiter on it was set at 140, but for '99, Ford dropped it to 130 as departments would buy cheaper tires and the police would literally drive the tires off them. I never hit the speed limiter but, while I'll never admit it, I did buy the good tires as I tended to...um...squeeze the speed limit at times. A solid black Crown Vic. with spot light and antennas. Who's going to pull it over?

Old 02-20-2021, 12:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I've been known to drive in a .......spirited ...... manner at times. When I rode Sport Touring bikes (I've had 3 C-10 Kawasaki Concours bikes) my tires would run as much as $300 each due to speed rating. I had a 1998 Ford P71 Crown Victoria. The speed limiter on it was set at 140, but for '99, Ford dropped it to 130 as departments would buy cheaper tires and the police would literally drive the tires off them. I never hit the speed limiter but, while I'll never admit it, I did buy the good tires as I tended to...um...squeeze the speed limit at times. A solid black Crown Vic. with spot light and antennas. Who's going to pull it over?
I drove an 88 Firebird Formula for a lotta years, and got used to the power, and how it handled. When I bought my 96 2500, my wife would frequently remind me that I was NOT driving my Firebird any more......

Old 02-21-2021, 02:31 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

I drove an 88 Firebird Formula for a lotta years, and got used to the power, and how it handled. When I bought my 96 2500, my wife would frequently remind me that I was NOT driving my Firebird any more......

My current CX-5 is quicker and more nimble than my last Crown Vic. Alas, it's not immune to tickets like this car;

Before I painted it as per Indiana law.

...on the other hand, people don't slow down then I pull up behind them.

Quick Reply: Cruise control doesn’t work past 85