3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 5.7 Hemi Vacuum Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 12:51 AM
Red Dodge Hemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 5.7 Hemi Vacuum Problem

I ran the fuel very low. When I filled up and got back on the interstate it started to miss and run terrible. I barely made it to the next exit and there was an O'Rielly's. I got to O'Rielly's by pumping the gas to keep it going and it died in the parking lot. It had multiple codes. Long story short, I've replaced the EGR Valve, Fuel Pump, O2 Sensors and injectors. I replaced the passenger side injectors first as that's what the code said. After each one of these part replacements, I tried the truck and it would only run if I kept pumping the throttle, no change. The last thing I did was replace the drivers side injectors. I had to unplug the booster vacuum hose to better access the fuel rail. When I finished the drivers side it started up and in a couple of minutes was idling on it's own. O' yea, while I was replacing the pump I checked the fuel tank and it was very clean. I had already poured a bottle of injector cleaner and sea foam as well. The truck set and idled great while I was putting the bed back on the truck. So I went for a test drive. The truck was running fine but when I hit the brakes they were very hard. I had forgotten to re-attach the booster vacuum hose. Simple fix. I pulled over hooked up the hose and the truck died. I finally got it started and it was back to square one. It ran the same as the first night it died. I can only assume it's a vacuum related problem. Could it be a cracked throttle body??? Has anybody ever heard of this type of problem??
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Rickey, frustrated in Murfreesboro, TN.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:56 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I believe your truck has a MAP sensor. I would do a little research into that??

Old 02-21-2021, 11:26 AM
Red Dodge Hemi

TrueDogman,

Thank you for the advise.
I'm old enough to remember when if a vehicle had gas, fire, and a vacuum hose to the distributor you were usually good to go.
I'll read up on the map sensor!

Old 02-21-2021, 11:57 AM
TrueDogman
Captain

It's just an idea...with the vacuum leak caused by the brake booster hose....I would think the MAP sensor would be sensing low absolute pressure and subsequently the ecm would command more fuel?? Doesn't make sense with the running low on fuel time frame tho....again just an idea.

Old 02-21-2021, 02:03 PM
Red Dodge Hemi

Yea,
It's a little backwards for my thinking. Usually when you unplug the booster hose, it kills the motor!

Old 02-22-2021, 06:53 AM
TrueDogman
Captain

Maybe try simply unplugging the map sensor and see how the engine responds? No doubt that will set a code tho.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:58 AM
TrueDogman
Captain

On another idea...with all the pumping of the gas pedal....did this cause an issue with the throttle body or valve ??

Old 02-22-2021, 11:19 PM
Red Dodge Hemi

Yea,

I'll get back on it this weekend. I'll unplug the map sensor then I'm gonna track down all of the vacuum lines. The funny part is that it seems to run fine
with the booster hose unplugged. Thanks for you help.

Quick Reply: 2004 5.7 Hemi Vacuum Problem