3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 07:10 PM
Corey Slone
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam

I need recommendations On what camshaft to get. I have lt headers and super chips flashback 5 coming sometime in the next week and I am going to dual my exhaust as well I just want to know what the best Cam would be for daily driving. Also what all should be changed with the camshaft my budget is probly around $900, but more if necessary. I've never done internal engine work but I'd love to do it myself but just don't have the experience, although I have changed a timing chain on an old car and I've rebuilt 2 differentials without ever doing so before so if a cam is easier then I might end up giving it a try so any and all recommendations are welcome

Old 05-23-2021, 06:21 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

I'd rec you contact Melling or Comp Cams customer service to discuss your project. Generally you have 3 choices for cam replacement: milder upgrade with no mods required, more aggressive upgrade and replace springs, and most aggressive upgrade and replace springs and rods.
HP gains will be between 25 and 80. Almost all of the HP will come in after 4000 rpm, you won't notice any power gains in lower rpm range.
You don't mention year of truck. Cam will be different for MDS or non-MDS.

Old 05-23-2021, 08:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Where you get your power depends on which cam you elect to use. Along with jrsick's list of possibilities/requirements, you also need to consider the PCM. A relatively mild cam may not *require* custom tuning, however, it would likely benefit from it. Go beyond that though, and you WILL need a custom tune. Another 500 bucks or so. (which includes the tuner, so keep that in mind before you spend money. )

Old 05-24-2021, 11:16 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 221 Likes on 201 Posts

How bout we back up and start with what you actually have lol.

Quick Reply: Cam