3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check Gauge Light/Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 10:23 AM
castro14
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Gauge Light/Oil Pressure

Hello everyone. I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 3.7L V6 and 240k miles. Lately while driving the Check Gauge light will flash on and the Oil Pressure gauge will drop towards 0 and rise back up. It will sometimes do this as well when at a red light or stop sign. I have already replaced the Oil Pressure Switch 3 times with the latest one purchased at the dealership them selves. The problem still occurred, so I replaced the oil pickup tube. I would have to say that for the year and mileage of the truck, the pickup tube was really clean and there was no metal shavings, sludge or debris in the pan that would cause low oil pressure. I also cleaned the oil pressure sensor harness with electrical cleaner and followed it up as far as I could looking for cuts or corrosion on the wire but it seemed fine. If anyone out that has had this issue and figured it out, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-12-2021, 11:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Think I would be putting a mechanical gauge on it, and see what pressure is really doing. I find it hard to believe that three sensors would fail in exactly the same way......

Moving this to third gen ram section for ya.

Welcome to DF!

Old 06-13-2021, 01:59 PM
castro14

@Hey you, Thank you for moving my post to 3rd Gen Ram. I am new to this site and appreciate all the help I can get. I will defiantly take that advise about the mechanical pressure gauge to see what the pressure is reading. I will post the results as soon as they are in.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:12 PM
castro14

Hooked up an oil pressure gauge to see what the actually psi is. It is reading about 22psi at idle. Could this be the reason why my check gauges light keeps binging and the oil level keeps falling and rising. If so what would be the immediate fix. The oil pump? As stated in my first thread. I already changed the oil pressure switch 3 times and the pickup tube. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

22 PSI at idle is fine. Pretty much anything over 10 at idle is considered 'acceptable'...... and then 10 PSI per 1000 RPM. Up to about 80 or so. Must be a bad connection somewhere in the OPS circuit.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:00 PM
castro14

Good to go. I will defiantly look into that. By chance would you know what the resistances should be for the OPS circuit. I figure I might try to ohm it out first before I start unwrapping bundles of wires while following it up towards the cabin. Either way I feel we are on the right track to figuring this problem out. LOL!! Thanks once again for the help

Old 06-14-2021, 09:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You can find wiring diagrams for your truck here. Think I would just set up a continuity tester, let it run while you wiggle/pull/twist the harness around. Given the frequency of failure, should tell ya which wire is the issue.

Quick Reply: Check Gauge Light/Oil Pressure