3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

i don’t know if coolant is getting in the engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 05:59 PM
RockyDon
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i don’t know if coolant is getting in the engine

i replace everything water pump thermostat and radiator and i put coolant in bled it and everything it didn’t go down i went for a drive got it up to temp i thought it would suck a bunch in when the thermostat opened but it didn’t

Old 06-16-2021, 06:40 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

I apologize Rocky, but I'm not sure what your situation is, or what you are asking. Are you losing coolant? If so, I'd recommend you put a sheet of cardboard or plastic under your truck overnight and see if you have any puddles in the morning. If no puddles, then most likely problem is head gasket, but could be bad radiator cap or leaky heater core. Have you had an over temp on your engine recently?
I recommend do some research on a compression check and leak down test.
You could also try testing if combustion gas is getting into your coolant. Remove your radiator cap while the engine is cool, and start the engine with the cap off. Let engine warm up and look for bubbles in the radiator. If you get bubbles then you have a head gasket leak. But there are conditions where you have a leaking head gasket and no bubbles, so it's just one test.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:45 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyDon
i replace everything water pump thermostat and radiator and i put coolant in bled it and everything it didn’t go down i went for a drive got it up to temp i thought it would suck a bunch in when the thermostat opened but it didn’t

If bled properly, then there won't be any air in there. No air, it won't go down as everything is full.Since the air burps out into the top tank, if it doesn't over heat, you probably did a good job and it's done.

Old 06-17-2021, 04:17 PM
RockyDon
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i opened the bled hex thing and opened the cap let it run and squeezed on the tubes a bit should that be good

Old 06-17-2021, 06:35 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyDon
i opened the bled hex thing and opened the cap let it run and squeezed on the tubes a bit should that be good

It's been a while since I worked on a 3rd gen truck but if my memory is correct, the bleeder gets the one air pocket out and anything else burps into the top tank. I never had any coolant issues after the repairs.

Old 06-19-2021, 12:20 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

The thermostat is not a perfect seal. It's designed to allow coolant (and air) to pass through, even when fully closed, although at a much lesser rate. The important thing to do is burp with the front higher than the rear.

Drive it till hot and wait till it cools off.....if the level is up to the neck, overflow tank up to max when it fully cools off, it's time for a beer.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 06-19-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: i don’t know if coolant is getting in the engine