3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS and Brake light on. No ABS.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 02:38 AM
willy1947
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and Brake light on. No ABS.

I've got a 2004 3500 and tonight my ABS and Brake light came on... and stayed on when I started it. Of course, my warranty just ran out too...36,318 miles. I took it for a test drive and my ABS does not work. The tires just lock right up, but everything else seems to be working fine. I changed the oil two nights ago and inspected the truck. No leaks or any obvious damage to anything I could see. When I start the truck, the brake light and ABS light will flicker for just a second, like they want to go off.

I'm new to this forum and thought I might ask to see if anyone else has had this problem, and what they did to correct it. I'm going to approach my local dealer and see if they won't help me out. I've had really poor luck with this dealer, but I'm still going to be polite and see if they will help. Can't hurt to ask, especially since I have bought two new vehicles from them. If that doesn't pan out, then I may see if autozone or pep boys can read the code. Does this sound like a good way to approach this?

I'm leaving to go jeeping this weekend and need to get this taken care of ASAP. I've started some searches and I will look for the sensors everyone has mentioned and check the connections. I just don't know if they are the same on mine as the 4x2's or none cummins trucks though.

Thanks in advance for the help. I hope it isn't anything too major. I have to sell my truck soon, so I can afford to build my house

Thanks,
Dave

Old 12-28-2005, 11:18 AM
iengle
Professional
Default RE: ABS and Brake light on. No ABS.

Politely call Dodge customer service and explain -- I have had positive results from almost every call to the MFG about a "slightly over warranty" issue.

Contact Us by Telephone
1-800-992-1997
M-F 8:00AM-5:00PM
All Time Zones

Contact Us by Mail:
Dodge Customer Assistance Center
P.O. Box 21-8004
Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004

Israel

Old 12-28-2005, 12:54 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I'd take the sensor out of the rear housing and spray it with some CRC electronics cleaner. They like to get grimey over time and will throw a code.

Find the manuals here.

Old 12-28-2005, 01:36 PM
willy1947

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to let Autozone check the sensor at lunch and see what they say. If there is a code, I'll have them reset it, then I will clean the sensor, and if that doesn't work I'll replace the sensor.

Chrysler is going to check my truck, but won't tell me if they are going to charge me or not. Depends on what is wrong with it. If it is something that was covered under the 36,000 mile warranty, then they said they will work with me. Right now the only issue with this, is I have to take to a dealer 45 mins. away, because my dealers manager is on vacation.

I did notice my speedometer was fine this morning.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 12-28-2005, 03:01 PM
willy1947

Well, autozone won't read my codes. They say it won't do any good since the engine light wasn't on.

What does it take to clear this problem? I mean, can I disconnect the battery and clear the error or does it re-initiate itself everytime I start the truck?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 12-28-2005, 05:14 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Start by cleaning the sensor. If the ABS light doesn't pop up, you've solved it. If not, off to the stealership.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:00 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*****, Those clowns at Autozone couldn't wipe their own butt without a set of instructions.
The fact is that your vehicle will throw codes without necessarily turning on the ecm light.
What you really want though, is someone with a DRV III scanner for the new vehicles. It is capable of much more detail. I have a DRV II and have seen codes stored without turning on the ECM Light.. They were just to lazy to plug it in and see!!!!
ORIGINAL: willy1947

Well, autozone won't read my codes. They say it won't do any good since the engine light wasn't on.

What does it take to clear this problem? I mean, can I disconnect the battery and clear the error or does it re-initiate itself everytime I start the truck?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 12-28-2005, 06:50 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Gone Fishin

*****, Those clowns at Autozone couldn't wipe their own butt without a set of instructions.
The fact is that your vehicle will throw codes without necessarily turning on the ecm light.
What you really want though, is someone with a DRV III scanner for the new vehicles. It is capable of much more detail. I have a DRV II and have seen codes stored without turning on the ECM Light.. They were just to lazy to plug it in and see!!!!
ORIGINAL: willy1947

Thanks,
Dave
LOL!!! You don't know how true you are regarding the local AZ by my house. I asked for some 5w20 oil the other day and they just pointed to the oil rack. Duh, I already checked, only cases left. So I brought the whole case to the front, took out what I didn't need and left them the rest to put back as I walked out the door with my nice carrying box for the 6 quarts of oil I bought.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:11 PM
willy1947

No luck with the sensor. $42 down the drain.

Off to the dealership

Old 12-29-2005, 10:28 PM
lovemyhemi05

before you go to the dealer check the abs fuses my buddy has an 04 2500 and the abs fuse poped and the abs/breaklight and check engine light came on ansl the spedo stopped working

Quick Reply: ABS and Brake light on. No ABS.