3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 09:29 AM
95betsy90
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Put your meter on the battery, have someone else start the truck, see what voltage does when the starter stops turning the motor... If it stays low, the starter is still trying to turn the motor. If it bounces back up, it isn't. Might just be a weak relay in that case.
I'm assuming it would have to be doing the thing where it doesn't start for this test. I did try last night about a dozen times and it would just start fine every time. I did have the volt meter on it just in case. After actually starting, volts came right back up.. maybe this evening i can get it to act up and check it then..

Old 07-09-2021, 09:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Originally Posted by 95betsy90
I'm assuming it would have to be doing the thing where it doesn't start for this test. I did try last night about a dozen times and it would just start fine every time. I did have the volt meter on it just in case. After actually starting, volts came right back up.. maybe this evening i can get it to act up and check it then..
Of course it started every time. You were paying attention.

Now you know how the guys at the dealership feel when a car comes in, and it simply won't do what the customers complaint is about. Gotta love intermittent problems..... Or not.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:06 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

It's possible that your problem could be an ignition starter switch. You can do some research and see if the symptoms sound like what you are experiencing.

Quick Reply: Starting issue