3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Howling from driver side door

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 09:37 AM
MythX
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Howling from driver side door

Hi everyone. I think I have an issue with the way my driver door is installed. It doesn't happen every time, but if there's a cross wind while I'm cruising down the freeway, I get a horrible howling sound from the driver door. It's extremely loud.

I've adjusted the latching mechanism to make it close tighter, but it had already seemed to be adjusted it's tightest. The foam seal around the door is in excellent shape. The noise seems to come from the top of the door. One of the things I noticed is that the driver door sites about 1/4" higher than the passenger door.

Is it likely that adjusting the door to sit lower (like the passenger door) would solve this problem? Is that something I should be able to do myself?

Thanks in advance.

Truck is a 2008 Quad Cab SXT 1500 4.7

Last edited by MythX; 07-10-2021 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Added truck model details
Old 07-10-2021, 09:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Adjust the door so that the body lines line up, and latches relatively tightly. (but, not too tight....) See if that improves things. Sometimes, for air leaks around the window frame, you need to actually bend the frame in more toward the body, so it will actually seal.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:57 AM
MythX
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. Where is that adjustment made? Do I just loosen the hinge where they bolt into the body?

Old 07-10-2021, 11:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Yep. Getting doors properly aligned is more of an art form..... To me, it's almost worth it to pay a body shop to deal with it.

Old 07-11-2021, 02:15 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

You can also use baby powder and put the powder around the door seal and close. Open the door and you should be able to see the gap.

Quick Reply: Howling from driver side door