3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ignition on for Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 08:19 PM
ThomasB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition on for Radio

Just bought a 2003 2500 RAM, very happy with it...
There is a issue with the radio though.
The Ignition Wire BLK/RED (which turns radio on and of) has Power when Iginition and Motor are on. No Power when key is in middle position, AND POWER WHEN NO KEY IS INSERTED.
That means my radio is always on when parked, it drains the battery.
The cigarette lighter has the same effect. it is always on, only when key is in middle position it's off.
I think that a previous owner modified the ignition wire?
There is an aftermarket alarm/ remote key look where I have no fob for installed, maybe that is the problem?
Here are my questions:
How can I get the car back to the factory condition?
Which other wire could I use for Igniiton on?
Thomas

Old 11-27-2021, 09:02 PM
racerxv6
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

ThomasB, sounds like you are going to need manual for your year and do some investigation on your wiring harness.....The mods on here are good about knowing where to go to obtain one wish I knew where to go for ya......

Old 11-28-2021, 06:36 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

This happened when I put aftermarket radio in, I ran a new wire from the power to a blank fuse that’s only on when key is on, problem solved

Old 12-09-2021, 11:16 PM
ThomasB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
This happened when I put aftermarket radio in, I ran a new wire from the power to a blank fuse that’s only on when key is on, problem solved
I found a wire from alarm, that has 12v only when car is in ignition and run and used that.
Still strange that the right wire doesn't do what the manual says, it is hot when key is in off position...

Quick Reply: Ignition on for Radio