3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Pan Removal - Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 03:21 PM
THRobinson
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Pan Removal - Clearance

I need a new oil pan, have for a few years but the past 2yrs the truck sat idle due to the red lightning bolt issue which I think I finally fixed. (nope, not throttle body, or accelerator pedal sensor... rotted off grounding straps on the engine).

Soon as weather permits I either replace or patch the existing oil pan. Mechanic wants $1000CAD because the engine needs hoisted about 2", and that's not happening. I've seen (hard to follow) vids where people drop something in the front to make space for the pan, also not happening. I'm in Ontario... most bolts and such are seized on and rusted solid.

However... ever so often someone in a thread says "oil pan just came off and out without issue for me" and they never post exactly how they did it or model/year of truck.

When I had to find a used APPS (accelerator pedal position sensor) I discovered that the 5.7l Hemi from 2003-04 only, had a sensor under the battery and not on the pedal assemble like all other years/models. Which made it hard to find a used one for. BUT... because of that, I gotta assume something about that engine is different than others, plus some have a 5.9l, some have a 4.7l, etc...

With the various sized and models of engines used between 2002-2008 on the RAM 1500's... do the oil pans come out more easily on some models? Do some models not require the engine lifted to make room? ... my model for example? (fingers crossed)

Old 03-12-2022, 02:35 AM
THRobinson
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bisdhim
I'm having to know whether I can eliminate my oil dish off my 1990 F-250 460 without raising the motor from the edge, or all in all do I have sufficient leeway to eliminate the container without overabundance stunt tweaking.
Any information would be valued indeed.
I need to replace oil dish gasket and back fundamental seal.
Why are you thread-jacking my post, asking about a Ford... on a Dodge forum?

You should start your own thread on a Ford forum... asking here probably isn't going to get much of a response.

Old 03-12-2022, 03:00 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Bisdhim
I'm having to know whether I can eliminate my oil dish off my 1990 F-250 460 without raising the motor from the edge, or all in all do I have sufficient leeway to eliminate the container without overabundance stunt tweaking.
Any information would be valued indeed.
I need to replace oil dish gasket and back fundamental seal.
The oil dish is a unit package on equipped 1990 F-250 460's. The only aftermarket solution is a replacement 2022 Ram 2500!

The following users liked this post:
THRobinson (03-12-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 07:42 AM
ole buck
Amateur
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you are goin to get the same response as you did on the other forum. there is no simple magic trick or secret to doing this job.

Old 03-13-2022, 01:34 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by THRobinson
I need a new oil pan, have for a few years but the past 2yrs the truck sat idle due to the red lightning bolt issue which I think I finally fixed. (nope, not throttle body, or accelerator pedal sensor... rotted off grounding straps on the engine).

Soon as weather permits I either replace or patch the existing oil pan. Mechanic wants $1000CAD because the engine needs hoisted about 2", and that's not happening. I've seen (hard to follow) vids where people drop something in the front to make space for the pan, also not happening. I'm in Ontario... most bolts and such are seized on and rusted solid.

However... ever so often someone in a thread says "oil pan just came off and out without issue for me" and they never post exactly how they did it or model/year of truck.

When I had to find a used APPS (accelerator pedal position sensor) I discovered that the 5.7l Hemi from 2003-04 only, had a sensor under the battery and not on the pedal assemble like all other years/models. Which made it hard to find a used one for. BUT... because of that, I gotta assume something about that engine is different than others, plus some have a 5.9l, some have a 4.7l, etc...

With the various sized and models of engines used between 2002-2008 on the RAM 1500's... do the oil pans come out more easily on some models? Do some models not require the engine lifted to make room? ... my model for example? (fingers crossed)

What engine do you have and is the truck 2 or 4 wheel drive. The only 3rd gen I've worked on was a '02 with the 4.7. It had sludged up and the engine lost all oil pressure.

The picture doesn't look as bad as it was. However, this was a 4.7 on a 2wd truck and it didn't require anything special. It had ample clearance to unbolt the pan and slide it back and down. While you have it out, clean your oil pickup too. I managed to salvage that engine and it ran great when I got done. If you have a 4wd truck, the front pumpkin might get in the way. Even there though, you might be able to unbolt the motor mounts and raise it slightly to remove the pan. On the other engines like the 5.7, I have no experience. One thing, if you're going to the trouble to remove the oil pan and it's got a hole, just get a new pan.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 03-13-2022 at 07:10 PM. Reason: i kant spel wurth a durn
Old 03-13-2022, 03:33 PM
THRobinson
Rookie

Originally Posted by ole buck
you are goin to get the same response as you did on the other forum. there is no simple magic trick or secret to doing this job.
Who... me? or the Ford guy?

I've gotten a few different responses, since I posted on a few Dodge Truck forums.

Old 03-13-2022, 03:37 PM
THRobinson
Rookie

@ol' grouch I have the 2003 5.7l Hemi 4x4....

I find it weird that some people post how the pan just comes right out no lifting/lowering of anything.

Old 03-13-2022, 07:14 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by THRobinson
@ol' grouch I have the 2003 5.7l Hemi 4x4....

I find it weird that some people post how the pan just comes right out no lifting/lowering of anything.

I assume you would know the basics. Like draining the oil and removing the bolts. I'm afraid I can't tell you how much clearance you're going to have. 4X4's usually will need a little extra clearance, but on yours I'd just be guessing.

Old 03-13-2022, 07:21 PM
RedRam2002
Professional
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

2WD - Pan comes out no problem, easy peasy, no lifting/lowering of anything.
4WD - Raise engine or lower diff, not easy peasy.
Here's a vid of a 2003 hemi 4WD oil pan removal :

Old 03-13-2022, 09:59 PM
THRobinson
Rookie

@RedRam2002 Saw that... sadly doesn't show the process, and not sure if the same as mine or not.... bumper/lights look different than mine. Says 2003... but maybe a typo.

@ol' grouch Yup... know the basics. Sadly the truck is tool old/rusted from Ontario winters to be an easy job. Videos I've watched all had issues but the undersides look like from Texas trucks compared to what I have. Also no hoist. I'm not a mechanic... I can do brakes, starters, and small bolt on stuff like that... this I think would be over my head. Oil pan swapping is easy stuff... on this Ram, it's a major project. My fear is if I drain it and just give it a try, that removing the bolts and breaking the seal might be the end of the oil pan then I'd have no choice.

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Removal - Clearance