3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

42rle slip/ miss

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 12:28 PM
milsmoose
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 42rle slip/ miss

I have a 2008 ram 1500 3.7 2WD and my transmission has suddenly started slipping or missing. I've noticed it more when i brake hard and then take off again (ie sharp turns at stop lights or avoiding hitting a deer). it seems to be happening more frequently within the past couple of weeks. as i try to accelerate, my engine revs and my rpms sky rocket but the truck wont actually accelerate. it feels like its slipping into neutral but after my rpms drop back down to about 1500 it resumes shifting automatically like normal.

i changed my transmision fluid, filter, and pan gasket per my boss (who is a ase mechanic) with the hopes that my seal may have been causing a suction problem. when that did nothing, i added some lucas stop slip and that seemed to help for about 75 miles but as of this morning its back to slipping after a hard downshift. my boss seems to think i may have a a pressure problem but i have had others tell me that my trans may need to be rebuilt.

any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by milsmoose; 03-27-2022 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:08 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Since your transmission is a electronic transmission ( No Bands). You should have a check engine light on because the transmission should have thrown a code. If you have a scanner that can read the CVI ( Clutch Volume Index) and post it. That would help.

Old 03-28-2022, 02:38 PM
milsmoose
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my check engine light has been on for a misfire for a while so i didn't think to check it. i just ran the codes again and had a p0731 (gear error in 1st), p0841 (fluid pressure sensor "a" circuit performance), and a p1776 (solenoid switch valve latched in lr)

Old 03-29-2022, 12:45 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Then it more than likely the Solenoid pack. The valve body assy would need to be removed. Be very careful when removing the valve body. Watch how the actuator cups and springs come down. Also to remove the valve body, remove the shifter cable at the lever and move the lever all the way to low gear. The lever has a 10mm bolt head, Loose it and remove the lever. Also disconnect the solenoid pack connector. Its also a 10mm bolt head.

Quick Reply: 42rle slip/ miss