3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hello New member

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006 | 02:42 PM
lesclifton
|
Default Hello New member

Hello ALL, I am a new member just wanted to introduce. My name is Les and have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 4X4. I have been having a problem with the fuse blowing for the PCM that just started yesterday morning. I replaced it and it worked fine, but was blown again this morning. Every time I tried replacing it this morning the fuse would blow as soon as I tried to put it in, but after the 5th time it took and has worked this morning but afraid it will be blown again by morning. Any Ideas??? Thanks!! and look forward to the forum.

Old 01-03-2006 | 03:14 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Default RE: Hello New member

Hello Les! welcome aboard! Sorry to hear of your problem,I have no idea what might cause that to happen,but there are some sharp guys on this forum,I am sure someone will be able to help you. Is the truck still under waranty??

Old 01-03-2006 | 03:16 PM
wreckless123
Rookie

Welcome! Is your truck still under warrenty? I would wonder if any aftermarket wiring has been done to your truck such as remote start or a alarm? Sometimes those things fail and cause electrical gremlins..

Old 01-03-2006 | 03:47 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Welcome to the Forum Les!!! It sounds like you may have some water in a harness, possibly the connection to the PCM. Or possibly a wire the has rubbed the insulation off, and is touching a ground somewhere. If you opt to pull the connection block to the PCM, MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE, he battery is disconnected, and all systems discharged by turning on the headlights for a few minutes after the battery is disconnected. If you don't you stand a good chance of FRYING the PCM. very, very, expensive. Try looking for an area along the harness where an after market splice may have been made, or where it may travel along a firewall etc....

Old 01-03-2006 | 04:39 PM
abarmby
Champion

ORIGINAL: Gone Fishin

Welcome to the Forum Les!!! It sounds like you may have some water in a harness, possibly the connection to the PCM. Or possibly a wire the has rubbed the insulation off, and is touching a ground somewhere. If you opt to pull the connection block to the PCM, MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE, he battery is disconnected, and all systems discharged by turning on the headlights for a few minutes after the battery is disconnected. If you don't you stand a good chance of FRYING the PCM. very, very, expensive. Try looking for an area along the harness where an after market splice may have been made, or where it may travel along a firewall etc....
Hi Gone Fishin...............can you explain or show a diagram, where this connector is for the PCM?
I'd like to inspect mine and possibly clean it up etc.
Cheers,
Allan.

Old 01-03-2006 | 06:37 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Check here for a full service manual.

Old 01-03-2006 | 07:08 PM
abarmby
Champion

ORIGINAL: osteodoc08

Check here for a full service manual.
Ahhh ..............thank you.

Old 01-03-2006 | 08:21 PM
srenken
Professional

I would have to agree with the water intrusion. The engine controller is on the right rear engine of the engine comparmtent. It is silver, with four sets of wires connected to it. It is mounted to a black bracket. Remove each one of those connectors, and look for the water. The connectors have two tabs on the top and bottom, which you must squeeze together so the connector will come out. If you do not see any water, and you did not install any aftermarket accessories that might be causing this, take it to the dealer, and explain the issue.

Old 01-04-2006 | 01:27 PM
lesclifton
|

Thank you all very much for your responses. I am believing it is water as well, we have had alot of rain here in WV the last couple of days. I did see a few wet spots and went through it all with a blowdryer, and this morning all was well. I have had; however a remote start installed but it was taken off a couple months ago, so you all were on the head. Thanks again for your responses.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/27072/45FA5A2E2A7B483A8D5C5E7C4518393B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/27072/BC28DDC5E78146B28141D9712E5B385A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-04-2006 | 04:41 PM
IshouldaGOTtheHEMI
Rookie

lol, this is a little off topic but your truck looks just like mine(before i started moddin!)! even the rims!

Quick Reply: Hello New member