3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 ram 1500 3.7l stalling issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 06:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Originally Posted by SaucinOnEm
This is a list of all the parts/ sensors I have replaced that are not the same manufacturer as the original factory parts.

Air Intake Temperature Sensor: Mopar
Thermostat & Housing: Motorad ( 195°)
Vehicle Speed Sensor: Delphi
Idle Air Control Valve: Carquest Premium
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor: Duralast
PCV Valve: Dorman

When I was making this list i did discover that the original thermostat was 180° instead of 195°. Would that possibly be the cause of the P1281 DTC?
A hotter thermostat won't set that code, a bad thermostat will though.....
IAC is the one that concerns me. I know they are expensive, but, I would suggest getting real mopar IAC....

Old 10-14-2022, 11:15 PM
SaucinOnEm
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The IAT is a real Mopar sensor

Old 10-15-2022, 11:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I can only go by what you post. I saw this:

Idle Air Control Valve: Carquest Premium

Old 10-15-2022, 11:44 AM
SaucinOnEm
Amateur

My apologies you're right...smh. I had intake air temp in my head for some reason. Ok! Thanks!

Old 10-15-2022, 12:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by SaucinOnEm
My apologies you're right...smh. I had intake air temp in my head for some reason. Ok! Thanks!
No worries.

I had zero success with aftermarket IAC valves..... My original was malfunctioning, so, replaced it with a parts store brand, and my problems got a bit better, but, stalling at stops was still an issue. Installed a spare Mopar valve I had layin' about, and the problems went away. Be sure to reset the computer when you change it, so it can learn the new part.

The following users liked this post:
SaucinOnEm (10-15-2022)
Old 10-15-2022, 03:42 PM
SaucinOnEm
Amateur

First, thank you for all of the help you've already given. It's been re-energizing. What should I look for moving forward from here in reference to new parts?

Old 10-15-2022, 05:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I usually go to some Dodge site, get the Mopar part number, then search on that. You can find OEM parts for less than what the dealer charges, but, still is an OEM part.

Old 10-28-2022, 06:23 AM
SaucinOnEm
Amateur

I swear if I didn't know any better I'd have to say my truck is a pissed off female. New OEM parts, won't fully crank over. A friend of my brother is supposedly good under the hood & tbh all I did was let him put the tps sensor back on throttle body. 2 screws, one way to go on figured fine. Apparently there's 2 ways it can go on AND it's the only thing I've ever put my hands on that fits backwards and correctly. So I reattach it, new battery maybe 3 weeks old...good voltage ****ty amps. I bought a load tester I'll put on after finished charging. Look really I think at this point all I can ask is what i should expect next. I can't test new parts if the soon to be IED doesn't turn over and start. Turns and like Nemo just keeps turnin

Old 10-28-2022, 09:05 AM
SaucinOnEm
Amateur

I swear if I didn't know any better I'd have to say my truck is a pissed off female. New OEM parts, won't fully crank over. A friend of my brother is supposedly good under the hood & tbh all I did was let him put the tps sensor back on throttle body. 2 screws, one way to go on figured fine. Apparently there's 2 ways it can go on AND it's the only thing I've ever put my hands on that fits backwards and correctly. So I reattach it, new battery maybe 3 weeks old...good voltage ****ty amps. I bought a load tester I'll put on after finished charging. Look really I think at this point all I can ask is what i should expect next. I can't test new parts if the soon to be IED doesn't turn over and start. Turns and like Nemo just keeps turnin

Old 10-28-2022, 10:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

No one will ever convince me that vehicles are merely inanimate objects.... My trucks most certainly have an attitude....

Quick Reply: 03 ram 1500 3.7l stalling issues