3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Differential Fluid Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023 | 02:18 PM
Prismatic
All Star

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
1/2 ton rear with LSD is a timebomb, the ears of the lsd rest on steel bushings that eventually split and grind the housing. Makes a mess, ruins the bearings, and weakens the bearing cap and where they land in the housing. Pull the cover and inspect it. I'd bet you're looking for a used good housing to build in the end. Pessimistic, maybe... hope I'm not correct.
Cost me an entire rear end. Stupid design. Ruined the pumpkin. If anyone googles and finds this thread, some advice: Find a used open diff 9.25 rear end from like a little 3.7 single cab or something in a junkyard. They can be built up same as a factory LSD or aftermarket and it's guaranteed to not have that prior failure in it. Saves big $ when rebuilding.

The following users liked this post:
jrsick (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023 | 03:11 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jrsick
New seals and bearings installed. I still have the grinding/scraping noise. It's not a whirring, whining, or mechanical sound at all.
Anyone ever heard of this before?
I'm thinking it's probably internal to diff, some combination of pinion bearings, carrier (side) bearings, or ring/pinion gears. I think you were right fj5!
Anyone ever heard of this before?
Decision to make is; do I do a diff rebuild (bearings and crush washer) or do rebuild with new ring/pinion/LSD? If new ring/pinion, then what brand? Yukon is same price as Mopar.
Your recommendations and experience would be much appreciated.
Where area is the noise coming from? You have picture of inside with the cover off, like close up on the bearing caps?

The following users liked this post:
jrsick (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023 | 05:56 AM
jrsick
|
All Star

Thanks Prismatic and fj5. I'm going to use a stethoscope and isolate the source of the grinding. I initially assumed wheel bearings, but I was wrong.
Prismatic, how did you inspect your diff? Did you take out the ring/carrier then inspect the carrier (side) bearings?
Thanks for the suggestion about a 3.7 rear. I can see advantage to building up a diff before installing on the truck. I think most difficult part of rebuilding diff while on truck/jack stands is going to be setting pinion pre-load. It was major effort getting 85 ft/lbs when re-attaching the prop shaft.
Fj5, I thought noise was coming from the wheel area, but it could be an echo. I don't think the bearing caps have ever been removed and am confident they are oriented correctly. Got no idea what is going on underneath the caps though, I should have checked when I had diff open last week. I get to do it all again.
Pinion turning torque was 8 in/lb when I checked prior to removing old pinion seal, and I set it to 10 in/lb on re-install. Do you think adding some pre-load is worth a shot?

Last edited by jrsick; 01-21-2023 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2023 | 08:06 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

I'd torque it all to factory specs. When do you hear the noise, only when driving? Or can you reproduce by spinning the yoke by hand?

Old 01-21-2023 | 03:01 PM
Prismatic
All Star

You didn't accidentally bend the dust shield into the rotor did you?

Old 01-21-2023 | 06:51 PM
jrsick
|
All Star

Originally Posted by Prismatic
You didn't accidentally bend the dust shield into the rotor did you?
Always possible, and I'll check. I'll rule out brake noises by removing calipers and rotors and turning drive shaft with truck on jack stands.

[QUOTE=fj5gtx;3559023]I'd torque it all to factory specs. When do you hear the noise, only when driving? Or can you reproduce by spinning the yoke by hand?
I wish I would have thought to spin yoke and check for crunchiness and noise. I thought problem was wheel bearings and pinion seal. I hear noise when driving and when in drive on jack stands.

Plan now is to put truck on jack stands and run in drive to try and isolate noise. I'll do a second run without rear wheels, brakes, or rotors to see if I still get grinding. If noise still present replace bearings, pinion, and ring gear. I'll post a video.

Old 01-22-2023 | 12:36 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jrsick
Plan now is to put truck on jack stands and run in drive to try and isolate noise. I'll do a second run without rear wheels, brakes, or rotors to see if I still get grinding. If noise still present replace bearings, pinion, and ring gear. I'll post a video.
Oh jeez, make sure you've got it blocked up really well before you get under that thing! You won't be able to slow down the driveline with the brakes removed, so plan on just turning off the engine... slamming it into park won't be a pleasant experience.

Old 01-22-2023 | 09:49 AM
jrsick
|
All Star

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Oh jeez, make sure you've got it blocked up really well before you get under that thing! You won't be able to slow down the driveline with the brakes removed, so plan on just turning off the engine... slamming it into park won't be a pleasant experience.
Concur fj5, I wouldn't get under a running truck for any reason. I have a long tube that I'll hold up against the diff using a stick, and use it like a stethoscope. I'll also use an IR gun to look for hot spots after shut down.

Old 01-23-2023 | 03:24 PM
jrsick
|
All Star

This is the sound. I listened all around the diff with a stethoscope and everything sounded good.
I have about 1/16 play in the rear u-joint. My working theory now is that the u-joint is making the noise.
The pinion seal has been leaking for a while, but was not the cause of the noise.
I removed wheels, brakes, and rotors to eliminate any brake noise.
Take a listen, I'd appreciate hearing what you think.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Video.mov (2.79 MB, 18 views)
Old 01-23-2023 | 03:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't really hear anything untoward.... but then, my hearing sucks anyway.

Quick Reply: Rear Differential Fluid Leak