3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 4.7L P0068 and P0300 Codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 09:14 AM
racerxv6
Veteran
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 04 4.7L P0068 and P0300 Codes

Howdy everyone,
Been about 6 months since my last post. Son came home the other day and decided to go back out and when he went to start the truck it started turning over then made a sound like it back fired or jumped and then started and ran extremely rough. He turned it off and when i got home I started it, it started but ran extremely rough. I put the OBD scanner on it and saw the codes noted above in the title. Changed out the Map and TPS sensors to see if that would clear it up however no luck. I then pulled all plugs and ran a compression test and here are the results. 1=115, 3=115, 5=115, 7=115 - 2=0, 4=115, 6=115, 8=115. Teardown will begin this week and I will post as I go. She has been a great truck for us and she has 225,000+ miles on her and she deserves to continue to enjoy the road. As I stated I will begin teardown this week and will post as I move along. I do have a question, I am sure that I have bent valves on Cycinder 2 and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this, what can I expect when I remove the valve cover, possibly broke rocker assembly anything else....

Old 01-30-2023, 10:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

May have just spit out a rocker. That happens when the "lifters" get weak, or fail. I would pull the valve cover first, and see what ya got.

Old 01-30-2023, 10:24 AM
racerxv6
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
May have just spit out a rocker. That happens when the "lifters" get weak, or fail. I would pull the valve cover first, and see what ya got.
Thanks HeyYou, Will get into that tonight and give it a look.

Old 01-30-2023, 08:15 PM
racerxv6
Veteran

HeyYou, Got valve cover off and lifter was just sitting in the head. When I slipped the rocker back underneath there was a lot of slap. There is no way for me to manually push down on the valve is there with any kind of lever tool is there to see if the valve is stuck or bent? When re-installing the rocker should the lobe of the cam be in the up position? If so, should there not be tension in order for me to push the rocker back in place? Installed new lifter as original was stuck and could not push it in. However there remains to be a lot of slap.

Thanks...

Last edited by racerxv6; 01-30-2023 at 09:25 PM. Reason: added content
Old 01-31-2023, 10:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think dodge has a specific tool for that, you wanna take care not to damage the cam lobe though... LIkely that lifter has failed, I would replace it, rather than reinstall it.... and they all live in the same environment..... if one has failed, I bet more are on their way.

The following users liked this post:
Marv107 (05-03-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 12:17 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 385 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by racerxv6
HeyYou, Got valve cover off and lifter was just sitting in the head. When I slipped the rocker back underneath there was a lot of slap. There is no way for me to manually push down on the valve is there with any kind of lever tool is there to see if the valve is stuck or bent? When re-installing the rocker should the lobe of the cam be in the up position? If so, should there not be tension in order for me to push the rocker back in place? Installed new lifter as original was stuck and could not push it in. However there remains to be a lot of slap.

Thanks...
I wouldn't be too worried about the valves. The rocker ejection was the obvious problem. It ejected because one of your lifters froze and could not keep proper tension on it. You're hearing slap because the other 15 rockers are in a similar state. Consider yourself lucky that the loose rocker didn't cause any carnage. You really should replace them ALL. When reinstalling the rocker, you should rotate the engine by hand (clockwise) so the cam lobe is at the position that places the least downward pressure. Then you can lever the rocker back in with a screwdriver. Really you should be using one of these.... this ...
Miller tool clone Miller tool clone

How do I know this? Been there and done that. LOL. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ine-issue.html

Can't believe it was almost three years ago. The Covid era distorts time, man! If I were you, I'd go all the way and replace the valve stem seals as well.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-issue-2.html

Last edited by Dodgevity; 01-31-2023 at 12:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Marv107 (05-03-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 11:04 PM
racerxv6
Veteran

HeyYou/Dodgevity,

I have a tool to remove the rockers, I also bought a new lifter and soaked it for about 2 hours in 5-30W. After I placed the lifter back in it's port on the #2 cyclinder "intake side" I was able to place the rocker back inplace and without any tension "no tool required". There has to be an issue with the valve. I started the tedious task of removing the accessories in preparation of removing the intake and head. Do either of you know of a tool to measure the height of the valve when there is no pressure being applied "resting position".? I would like to measure this and measure it against another cyclinder to see if there is a difference.

Thank guys

Old 02-01-2023, 07:48 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 385 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by racerxv6
HeyYou/Dodgevity,

I have a tool to remove the rockers, I also bought a new lifter and soaked it for about 2 hours in 5-30W. After I placed the lifter back in it's port on the #2 cyclinder "intake side" I was able to place the rocker back inplace and without any tension "no tool required". There has to be an issue with the valve. I started the tedious task of removing the accessories in preparation of removing the intake and head. Do either of you know of a tool to measure the height of the valve when there is no pressure being applied "resting position".? I would like to measure this and measure it against another cyclinder to see if there is a difference.

Thank guys
I don't know of a tool to measure the height but since you have the valve cover off, you should be able to compare against the other springs. If the valve seems to be not seated correctly, try tapping the top of the spring with a hammer or even pushing down hard with your fingers. Don't hit so hard that it flies out and you lose the valve keepers (I think you have to support the valve for that to happen though). You might even be able to push it down by hand... are the spring and valve moving?

Also, remember that these are hydraulic lifters. Although you soaked in oil, the lifter is not primed and is probably easily compressed, contributing to the ease of rocker insertion. It won't get hard till you run the engine for a bit.

Another thread of mine .... https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-not-soak.html

This is a pic of the valve spring compressor tool I used...

Old 02-01-2023, 09:53 AM
racerxv6
Veteran

So I was unable to move the spring or the valve itself I can't even push down on it to make it move. The only reason I mentioned soaking the lifter was because I wanted to have it somewhat lubricated for the initial starting of the engine. Just by looking at it it seems like it could be slightly lower than the other valves. In response to your statement about the lifter being new and not primed, not the case here unfortunately. I can place the rocker in position and then be able to rocker it back and forth without pressing down on the unprimed lifter. Stay tuned as I have the timing block coming so I don't lose the chain and have to completely tear the front apart. So my next update will be Saturday. Oh, and I will tap on the valve to see if it moves any, haven't tried that yet I was just using my hand to see if I could move anything.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Keep in mind seat pressure on those valve springs is likely north of 100 pounds..... so, you ain't gonna move it by hand. If you have a brass drift, and a big hammer..... set the drift on the valve stem, smack it with the hammer, it *should* move.

Another option would be to beg/borrow/rent/steal a bore scope, (local parts store?) and have a look, see if you dropped a valve seat.

Quick Reply: 04 4.7L P0068 and P0300 Codes