3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Diff Cover - Aftermarket or Not

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 08:13 AM
PaBiker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Diff Cover - Aftermarket or Not

Okay, so I am going to change my 13 year old gear oil with 23K on it. The last time I changed it I did not bother to put an aftermarket rear diff cover on. I did that on my 1999. So I have to pull the cover and then RTV.

I am long term with this truck so I am wondering if it is worth putting a cover on with a drain plug. Or is the idea that you pull the cover so you can take a look in there to see how things look and look for shavings? It was easy on my 1999 to just drop the drain plug ... maybe I am lazy .. but less work and messing with RTV.

Any thoughts on if it is worth swapping the diff cover out for one with a drain plug? I have seen the cast iron ($180) which don't seem to bad? Not sure if there is a rust issue or an Aluminum which would not have that issue? Any thoughts and recommendations on aftermarket covers?

Old 03-18-2023, 10:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

I think it was Banks that did a video series on rear diff covers, and the various designs thereof. Might wanna have a look at those before you spend money. ) That said, a drain plug makes the job less messy, but, not like it is something you do every 3000 miles......

Old 03-18-2023, 10:46 AM
PaBiker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think it was Banks that did a video series on rear diff covers, and the various designs thereof. Might wanna have a look at those before you spend money. ) That said, a drain plug makes the job less messy, but, not like it is something you do every 3000 miles......
My thoughts exactly, is it worth it for something I do every 10 years? There would have to be some other benefit. Like the cast iron for strength but I am not sure I need that ... and then perhaps less efficient a cooling than the thin OEM sheet metal cover. Or the fancy aluminium but then you get in to $300-$400.
Hopefully, I will get some opinions here...

Old 03-18-2023, 11:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

My take on it is this.... If you use your truck for 'truck stuff' (tow/haul) on a daily basis, a better rear cover might be of some benefit. However, given that they cost serious money, I am thinkin' the stock cover, and more frequent fluid changes would be a more financially sound plan. So far as I am concerned, the cost/benefit ratio just ain't there.

Old 03-18-2023, 04:06 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

You can also use a fluid extractor to the suck out the oil. You don't get to see the insides though.

Old 03-20-2023, 11:52 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by PaBiker
My thoughts exactly, is it worth it for something I do every 10 years? There would have to be some other benefit. Like the cast iron for strength but I am not sure I need that ... and then perhaps less efficient a cooling than the thin OEM sheet metal cover. Or the fancy aluminium but then you get in to $300-$400.
Hopefully, I will get some opinions here...
Check out this video by Banks...

I'd just stick with the original cover, and buy a lubelocker reusable gasket and forget about the mess and wait times with rtv.

Old 03-21-2023, 12:16 AM
PaBiker

LOL: I love Banks ...I don't know about their products since I cannot afford them; but they were/are great at marketing. But heck ... That is a good video!

Thanks fj5gtx I am going to try those LubeLockers. I think I need the LLR-A925 (front) and LLR-A115 (rear). Then I don't have to mess with the RTV.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:29 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by PaBiker
LOL: I love Banks ...I don't know about their products since I cannot afford them; but they were/are great at marketing. But heck ... That is a good video!

Thanks fj5gtx I am going to try those LubeLockers. I think I need the LLR-A925 (front) and LLR-A115 (rear). Then I don't have to mess with the RTV.
The video left me wanting a see thru diff cover. What better way to check your oil level and condition? LOL

Old 03-21-2023, 09:18 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
The video left me wanting a see thru diff cover. What better way to check your oil level and condition? LOL
Haha, apparently you are not alone! I'm starting to dig into a mopar 440 rebuilding project, and while looking at ignition system options, I noticed someone is marketing a see through distributor cap as an option for a performance distributor.

The following users liked this post:
jrsick (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 11:57 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

and see thru valve covers...

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Cover - Aftermarket or Not