3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

⚠️ Driver Seat Stuck Forward ⚠️

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 12:48 AM
AKCallahan
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ⚠️ Driver Seat Stuck Forward ⚠️

It’s been a VERY intermittent problem till now but it seems as though the motor the motor that controls the front to rear power movement of the driver seat is shot to 💩.

I moved it forward so my wife could get in the back with our 2 month old then the seat refused to go backward. You can hear the motor click to engage if you try to move the seat forward, but no response at all if using the switch to move the seat to the rear.

I couldn’t see a PN on the motor but a Google search led me to 5509070H. It’s apparently difficult AF to find, but I need one because currently it’s parked at my in-laws because I’m 6’4” and can’t even imagine fitting between the seat and dash.

So I’m asking for some help locating the right motor and getting it swapped out so I don’t have to hire some little Asian girl to drive my truck to the shop so they can fix it.

Thanks!!

2006 Ram 4x4 Laramie 5.7L HEMI

Old 07-02-2023, 08:03 AM
aleekat
Veteran
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I would look to testing the motor first. It might be a switch issue.

Last edited by aleekat; 07-02-2023 at 08:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by aleekat:
FabricGATOR (07-02-2023), John-RAM-03 (07-13-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 01:59 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 on what aleekat said. It seems that the switch is only connecting in the one direction.
Now I only have manual seats but sometimes you may be able to spray some DeOxid (my favorite) or some other electrical contact right into the switch without even removing it.
But again, I can't see your switch to know if that is even possible.

I saw the switch on the video above. Maybe can get Contact Cleaner on that joystick BUT what the man did by using the other motor circuit to operate the forward/back motor is probably your best bet and then order a switch.

Might be common enough a problem that an aftermarket switch might be available at aaaAutoZona or similar today!

... and now, my prerecorded statement:

I hope this helps you.

Please return and tell how this information worked for you, what you find, and how you eventually fix your vehicle (even if it is that you brought it to a mechanic / dealership for repair)
It is your feedback and final repair report that will make these forums useful to others in the future.
Many times I search and find the same exact fault that I am having, someone suggests how to fix it, the patron follows the suggestion and then never returns to say yea or nea...
The forum thread just goes dead because the person fixed their fault and has not a care to offer the answer anymore. Please don't be that guy.

Cheers!

Old 07-03-2023, 11:48 AM
AKCallahan
Professional

Ordered new switch and should be here Thursday. Will update with outcome.

thank you both for your input and advice!

Old 07-03-2023, 12:35 PM
aleekat
Veteran

I would have done some testing before ordering the switch. Good Luck.

AKCallahan (07-03-2023), FabricGATOR (07-03-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 10:19 PM
AKCallahan
Professional

Originally Posted by aleekat
I would have done some testing before ordering the switch. Good Luck.
Happy to report the new switch fixed my issue!

Once I put the plastic cover back on the switches itself, I noticed it stuck a lot even though it was clean on the back end. Upon further inspection, one of the plastic tension tabs had broken, and caused the switch to get stuck however slight in the direction you were wanting to go. My assumption at this point is that at sometime, my switch got stuck in the backward position and simply burnt out that direction.

Nevertheless, $50 part from O’Reilly’s and I couldn’t be happier.

Old 07-06-2023, 10:33 PM
aleekat
Veteran

Originally Posted by AKCallahan
Happy to report the new switch fixed my issue!

Once I put the plastic cover back on the switches itself, I noticed it stuck a lot even though it was clean on the back end. Upon further inspection, one of the plastic tension tabs had broken, and caused the switch to get stuck however slight in the direction you were wanting to go. My assumption at this point is that at sometime, my switch got stuck in the backward position and simply burnt out that direction.

Nevertheless, $50 part from O’Reilly’s and I couldn’t be happier.
Thanks for posting back.

AKCallahan (07-07-2023), FabricGATOR (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 10:07 AM
FabricGATOR
Professional

Hey AKCallahan, in a few years, please let us know when/if the aftermarket switch needs to be replaced again. I like to track the longevity of factory parts VS those that come from other than the original manufacturer.

Old 07-09-2023, 08:03 AM
AKCallahan
Professional

Originally Posted by FabricGATOR
Hey AKCallahan, in a few years, please let us know when/if the aftermarket switch needs to be replaced again. I like to track the longevity of factory parts VS those that come from other than the original manufacturer.
You got it!
Mopar didn’t offer a lifetime warranty but this aftermarket part did. I’ve done aftermarket parts all over my 2006 Charger and Ram, without having to redo any work in the 14 years I’ve had them. I just simply encourage people to use Mopar sensors. Always do that.

Old 07-09-2023, 08:54 AM
FabricGATOR
Professional

I learned a long time ago that the only guarantee I got with those white box parts was that I was going to spend a lifetime replacing them for free.

I freaked out when I realized the Advanced Auto parts had a professional desk ProToCall... I realized that all the mom and pop mechanics are going to start putting Advanced junk parts on my mom's and uncles' cars. Geeze

Quick Reply: ⚠️ Driver Seat Stuck Forward ⚠️