3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC leak? Or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 08:02 PM
Shadow_Death
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yup yup. Replacing o-rings wouldn't hurt either. (here, let me spend some more of your money...... )
I think that's why I haven't replaced my heater core in my truck yet. I just keep adding more things to my list. By the time I end up actually doing it I'll probably have a whole new AC system. lol

Hopefully for him it's just the valves and maybe the o-rings.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow_Death
I think that's why I haven't replaced my heater core in my truck yet. I just keep adding more things to my list. By the time I end up actually doing it I'll probably have a whole new AC system. lol

Hopefully for him it's just the valves and maybe the o-rings.
It's called "Scope Creep"..... Or, "While I am in here...." syndrome. I suffer from that too.....

Old 07-29-2023, 10:09 PM
joeboatertx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep it was empty. Now I want to test for other leaks. I don't think that valve was leaking before I pugged into it. So it is a problem now, and I will replace it.

Last edited by joeboatertx; 07-29-2023 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-29-2023, 10:16 PM
joeboatertx

Second question is how to properly jump the compressor. I was able to get it to come on by fiddling with the pressure switch connector. Now that only works for a second, then it cuts off. Not long enough to build any pressure. That brings me to my other question. If you suspect a leak. How would you fill the system to test? I put a couple of ounces of pag46/UV in hoping it would be enough. That was from empty. So that is the only thing in the lines after I vacuumed it in. Should I also immediately add more 134a???? Not quite sure how to circulate the UV without blowing more 134a into it. I also don't want to blow it all up!

Old 07-29-2023, 10:27 PM
joeboatertx

For future reference, assuming I get all the leaks worked out. I need the total fill info. I saw another post that said my truck should have 6oz of pag46 and 1lb 6oz of r134a. Is that correct?

Old 07-30-2023, 08:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pull a vacuum on the system, see if it holds. If it doesn't, might have to waste some R134 with dye to find it.

Old 07-30-2023, 11:55 AM
joeboatertx

1. Does vacuuming the system remove the pag oil as well as the moisture?

I put a couple of "new" ounces of pag oil with UV in and don't want to overfill it with oil. Since I have only replaced the schraders and vacuumed it, I am unclear on if it has any original oil left in it.

2. Where can I find the PROPER refill quantities for 134a and pag oil for my truck??

My truck 2008 1500 5.7L has NO sticker on the hood and the stickers above the radiator do not mention the ac system. I have been searching google for hours and only found one video that mentions quantities for my truck. Not sure I can trust it.

TIA!

Last edited by joeboatertx; 07-30-2023 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 12:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The oil shouldn't evaporate under vacuum.. I don't think.....

Get yourself a Factory Service manual for your truck. You can generally get a PDF copy for 30 to 40 bucks.

Old 07-30-2023, 01:16 PM
joeboatertx

Well I went ahead and filled it with r134. Now it blows cold. Gauges read 39/175 L/H psi. It took just under 24oz. The pag46 oil question remains. I either have too much, or not nearly enough. From empty, I put in 2 oz, then vacuumed it, then filled it with r134a. Assuming that some oil remained in the system after nothing but a schrader change, maybe it is ok. But if vacuum removes all of the oil, I am low on oil. Really low. Really hope someone who knows sees this and can chime in. I don't want to run this much if it is low on oil. Seems like a really bad idea.

TIA

Old 07-30-2023, 01:18 PM
joeboatertx

Thanks heyyou, I have that manual somewhere. But it is packed away since my last move and I have another 50 boxes to open. I was hoping someone had easy access to the info. Not sure it would address my questions about oil either.

Quick Reply: AC leak? Or something else?