3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Redish brown color on oil cap

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 05:20 PM
eltupac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redish brown color on oil cap

I changed the oil on Monday, 10200 miles and when I opened the cap I found this brownish redish color fluid on the bottom.
Anybody seen this before, is it normal?

Old 01-06-2006, 07:57 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: Redish brown color on oil cap

Did it wipe off or was it more like discolored plastic? Need more info, please.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:56 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Been posts on this before. Although I do not recall if it was brown, yellow or white. But many, including me, have seen it on our caps. Just wipes off. I think I recall someone saying moisture can cause it.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:38 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

That's why I was asking. I've seen plastic caps that have condensation on it, esp starting this time of year and I've seen them with what looked like old degraded plastic with a brown patina that couldn't be wiped off. Both nothing to worry about. When you get milky oil is when you should worry

Old 01-09-2006, 11:23 AM
eltupac
All Star

Yeah, it wipes off. Thanks for the responses. I guess I wont worry until I see a milkshake

Old 01-11-2006, 03:20 PM
motorhead426
All Star

There's a few mopar engines that have similair issues to moisture near the oil cap. Have any of you seen the plastic insert for the 4.7 engines? There is a little funnel shaped plastic piece that inserts to the oil fill neck. This is because without it, you'll find a milkshake looking foam on the bottom of the oil cap. Not sure why it happens, but Chrysler started installing these on the 4.7's soon after they hit dealer lots. I have noticed some moisture on the fill cap to my Hemi ('05), but not near as bad as some of the 4.7's I've seen.

Old 01-12-2006, 03:54 PM
steeringcolumn
Rookie

ORIGINAL: motorhead426

Have any of you seen the plastic insert for the 4.7 engines? There is a little funnel shaped plastic piece that inserts to the oil fill neck. This is because without it, you'll find a milkshake looking foam on the bottom of the oil cap. Not sure why it happens, but Chrysler started installing these on the 4.7's soon after they hit dealer lots. I have noticed some moisture on the fill cap to my Hemi ('05), but not near as bad as some of the 4.7's I've seen.

I've got the same thing,the stuff eventually starts to build up!

Once you figure out the "Little funnel shaped plastic piece"comes out,It sure is easier to add oil!!![8D]

Old 01-08-2007, 05:57 AM
sixdoubleo
Rookie

I noticed the same thing today....in fact I posted a message about it and included a picture. Mine had a small amount of water in the cap too. Is that was yours looked like?

https://dodgeforum.com/m_666146/mpag.../tm.htm#666149

Old 01-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Jetpig
Professional

It is completely normal. Condensation. Mostly comes from short operating times. When the enginedoes notreach full temp, the moisture inside the engine initiallyturns to vapor but does not get hot enough toevaporate out of the system. When you shut it down and the engine cools, the vapor condenses on the upper parts of the engine.

Quick Reply: Redish brown color on oil cap