3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Damn TCM issues 2005 Ram 1500 pickup w/ 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 01:58 PM
speedo1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn TCM issues 2005 Ram 1500 pickup w/ 5.7

So I lost my throttle body a couple weeks ago. Originally under hard acceleration turning (mostly) left, engine would shut down, and the red warning (bottom right of display) would light. I would quickly shift to neutral and turn the key off and then back on and it would start and be fine. Then it started happening more frequently and it would idle rough around 500-600 rpm. Finally after a quick u-turn a couple weeks ago it didn't want to bounce back and the light began flashing and I barely got home in limp mode. Checked online and the suggestion was that a rough idle and limp mode pointed to the throttle body, so I replaced it...(BTW no codes were thrown). Everything seemed fine with new TB...idle was up at about 900-1000, red light was off and truck ran well, until last night. Ran a short errand and during a left turn under acceration red flashing light came back on. Tried to re-key ignition to reset, but nope. When I installed the new TB I was to to introduce it to the brain by key-ing the ignition (don't start), quickly press accelerator pedal to floor and release. I did that several times also and no reset.
Today, it started right up, correct idle speed and no red light. Dang it. Really not looking forward to getting stuck again and limping it home. Could it be the other throttle/accelerator pedal sensors? Where are they located and how hard to access. Or what else could it be? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by speedo1; 11-19-2023 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2023, 02:05 PM
speedo1

BTW, I have had wiring varmit problems. Had that (supposedly) repaired a couple months ago. At that point I was convinced it was the ECM, and replaced it twice thinking that I was shipped two bad ECMs. My ECM was ok, it was the wiring that caused the issue.

Old 11-19-2023, 02:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Check the wiring for the PEDAL position sensor, if that is all good, consider replacing the sensor.......

Old 11-19-2023, 02:47 PM
speedo1
Default Pedal position sensor

Where is that located?

Old 11-19-2023, 03:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

No idea. Might be down on the pedal itself, might be part of an assembly, might be somewhere under the hood, operated by a cable...... Look it up on a parts site, so you know what it looks like, and that'll give you an idea of where to start looking for it.

Old 11-19-2023, 03:19 PM
speedo1
Default TPS vs APPS

So I am reading that the throttle position sensor is mounted behind and to the right of the throttle body, and the accelerator position sensor is located on the top of the accelerator pedal assembly. Can either of those cause these problems? If so why are there no codes being thrown?

Old 11-19-2023, 03:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by speedo1
So I am reading that the throttle position sensor is mounted behind and to the right of the throttle body, and the accelerator position sensor is located on the top of the accelerator pedal assembly. Can either of those cause these problems? If so why are there no codes being thrown?
Throttle position sensor tells the PCM where the throttle currently is. Pedal position sensor tells the PCM how hard you are stepping on the gas. Likely the reason they don't set codes is, the PCM has nothing to compare the data it is seeing, to what is actually happening. One would think that if the PCM changes throttle postition, via its cool little motor, but, DOESN'T see TPS value changing, it should whine about that. But, the pedal position sensor? That's the ONLY input the PCM gets. It has no idea if what it is seeing reflects what you are doing with the pedal or not. You can test it with a meter. I would expect its just another variable resistor, modifying the 5 volt reference signal.

Old 11-20-2023, 08:12 PM
speedo1
Default accelerator position sensor

Reset again last night. We'll see where that gets me. Frustrating that no codes are being thrown.

Old 11-27-2023, 06:21 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

7 days later... how is it going speedo1?

Quick Reply: Damn TCM issues 2005 Ram 1500 pickup w/ 5.7