3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can someone help me identify a part?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 12:07 PM
ryblmc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone help me identify a part?

I have a 2008 3.7L Manual SXT. I have found varying results in exactly the which gasket I need to replace this oil leak.

Old 02-15-2024, 02:31 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Clean it up 1st

I can't right identify what I am looking at there
I have a 5.7 so there is that difference...

Myself, I would clean up the stain and observe where it originates.
A can of gunk engine degreaser and a strong stream of water (you could go at it with a wire brush to loosen the grease a bit)
Then check it after running it. If it has been a long time oil 'seep' and it is not making a lot of oil stains on anybody's driveway, I would just leave it be.
While it is not 'perfect' unless it is a heavy oil leak source, you may create more problems than you might be fixing.

After you clean it up and can view where a gasket MAY be leaking (seeping) then maybe a light dusting with baby powder may reveal the source more rapidly.

Myself, I use a welder product called 'Spot Check' and use the step C 'developer (a spray on aerosol, powder) that will show where the oil is coming from.

Let us know what you find and what you end up doing, how it goes...

More motor vehicle problems may be caused by over maintenance than are actually solved. It was near perfect when it left the factory...

Quick Reply: Can someone help me identify a part?